Laurel and Hardy Page 5

Oooh!

Two threads running here. .

My comments on the box set are in the DVD Bargains thread

Good price at less that £30 but I'm not that impressed by the presentation !

:(

Quote: SlagA @ December 6 2009, 8:51 PM GMT

Watched the 6 Fox ones now. The 3 film box sets (two of them) dropped in price form a stupid 24 quid each to £9 each. I'm now awaiting Air Raid Wardens from the USA. And I can't find Bonnie Scotland on DVD anywhere at the moment.

Still shudder when I have Utopia flashbacks. >_<

I brought one of them boxsets about a year ago, the one featuring 'A Haunting We Will Go' 'The Dancemasters' and 'The Bullfighters'. I watched 'Haunting' It was a bit of a dissapointment, not awful, but not good either, so I put the other two on standby. Would you recommend I watch them?

As for 'Bonnie Scotland' I used to have it on VHS. It is a brilliant film and criminal how it is unavailable on DVD. There is another Laurel and Hardy feature length film which was well recieved called 'Fra Diavlo'. I've never seen it and it isn't available on DVD in this country.

Actually, Fra Diavolo is available on DVD, its packaged under a different title "Laurel And Hardy - Bogus Bandits" (Play and amazon have it for less than £10). Great film and worth it alone for the whole Earsy-Kneesy-Nosey scene.

A long shot here but, does anyone know which film has the exchange .

'You never met my wife did you?'

'Yes, I never did.'

'What'd ya mean 'Yes I never did;?

Quote: Oldrocker @ December 19 2009, 1:10 AM GMT

A long shot here but, does anyone know which film has the exchange...

Google says Helpmates (1932).

Quote: Jack Massey @ December 15 2009, 9:41 PM GMT

I brought one of them boxsets about a year ago, the one featuring 'A Haunting We Will Go' 'The Dancemasters' and 'The Bullfighters'. I watched 'Haunting' It was a bit of a dissapointment, not awful, but not good either, so I put the other two on standby. Would you recommend I watch them?

As for 'Bonnie Scotland' I used to have it on VHS. It is a brilliant film and criminal how it is unavailable on DVD. There is another Laurel and Hardy feature length film which was well recieved called 'Fra Diavlo'. I've never seen it and it isn't available on DVD in this country.

The Fox films are all about the same quality. It's kinda a tailing off of their career but I did like Jitterbugs, and The Big Noise (from the other box set) but will be adding all of them to my annual L+H DVD fest.

As has been mentioned, Fra Diablo (AKA The Devil's Brother / Bogus Bandits) is out on DVD and I picked it up for less than a fiver. Yay. It is an excellent film. Like Swiss Miss, and Bohemian Girl, it has musical moments but they don't dominate. In fact, there's a box set of Bogus Bandits and March of the Wooden Soldiers (AKA Babes in Toyland) for under a fiver at Amazon. IIRC.

Also recently got the two Warner films (Air Raid Wardens / Anything but Trouble) and found them on a similar par to the Fox series. Beautifully shot and a gorgeous transfer to DVD, so nice to see the pair of them as they must have originally appeared. The films aren't bad in themselves but not the best. Although there's a nice Edgar Kennedy reunion in ARWdens.

Air Raid Wardens sounds like a good film, I never new it was a Warner film though. And thanks for pointing out that Fra Diavola and Babes in Toyland are under different names.
Speaking of musical interludes, I think the only film where music dominated to an annoying level was 'The Bohemian Girl'

Has anyone else got the Flying Deuces DVD with the Tony Curtis intro as an extra. If so, watch it. He is hilarious in a not so-good way. It's a show-biz belly flop. I keep meaning to force SlagB into watching it.

I've recently discovered Stan Laurel's daughter had a walk-on part in Last Of The Summer Wine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD2OzZhiZ-c

Ooh that was class.

If I was giving a dinner party and could include ten people from history, Stan would be there. Unless of course he turned down the invite. Teary

Quote: peter gazzard @ January 2 2010, 7:29 PM GMT

I've recently discovered Stan Laurel's daughter had a walk-on part in Last Of The Summer Wine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD2OzZhiZ-c

She looks slightly like Thora Hird.

:)

Help Mates is my all-time favourite.

Especially the exchange:

Stan: "If I had any sense I'd walk out on you."
Ollie: "It's a good thing you haven't any."
Stan: "It certanly is."
And then Stan's face pondering over it all.

Closely followed by Laughing Gravy.
Oh, and the one where they're babysitting younger versions of themselves.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ January 6 2010, 1:59 AM GMT

:)

Help Mates is my all-time favourite.

Especially the exchange:

Stan: "If I had any sense I'd walk out on you."
Ollie: "It's a good thing you haven't any."
Stan: "It certanly is."
And then Stan's face pondering over it all.

Closely followed by Laughing Gravy.
Oh, and the one where they're babysitting younger versions of themselves.

The last film you mentioned is called Brats :)

That's the one. :)

I use to love watching the double bill comedy shows the BBC use to show when I was a child.Laurel and Hardy followed by Harold Lloyd etc.I really wish the BBC would start repeating those double bill shows on TV,like they did with the old horror movies during the summers.Laurel and Hardy are magnificent,and will always be loved and watched over and over again,not only by myself,but by millions.