Laurel and Hardy Page 4

So many greats to pick from with L&H.

My fave feature is Way out West. Favourite short...mmm...Laughing Gravy.

Got the box set and it's worth every penny of £50.

That's another fine set I'll get myself into.

Quote: LAUGH?NEARLYDIED @ November 24 2009, 5:53 PM GMT

My fave feature is Way out West. Favourite short...mmm...Laughing Gravy.

Two superb choices. The box set is now INCREDIBLE value. People, get it now. It's both the preservation of an historic moment in film and a masterclass in clean (mostly) physical comedy.

I've had to put some on, it's been months (what's the matter with me?). Harrr harrr, what an idiot! Tee hee, ooooh no, that's got to smart, that has...arrf arrf...

Saw Utopia (AKA Atoll-K). What a terrible piece of work. Bad lighting, bad camera work, Stan and Ollie looking tired and so very old. Not a happy place to leave them in my mind.
:(

So immediately watched Jitterbugs and The Big Noise - some of the Fox films. Not as funny as the Roach Studio output but excellent films as regards camerawork, clarity of image, and professionalism. Far nicer way for me to imagine their careers ending.
:)

The box set of 21 DVDs featuring all the Hal Roach output is now out on Amazon at 29 pounds - that's £1.50 a DVD.

I paid £150 and that was discounted, five years back.

Yeah got mine on Thursday, think a couple of others on here did as well. Won't get lower than that, I shouldn't think.

Shame I arrived late to this thread.

Laurel and Hardy are the funniest double act of all time - end of. They could teach a lot of motormouths today that comedy doesn't always mean trying to outsmart the proles. Keep it simple - keep it funny.

Quote: alex mahon @ December 5 2009, 11:55 PM GMT

Shame I arrived late to this thread.

Laurel and Hardy are the funniest double act of all time - end of.

Yes :D

Of course Ant and Dec have massively improved on them.
They evolved their work to it's natural end.

Quote: sootyj @ December 6 2009, 12:02 AM GMT

Of course Ant and Dec have massively improved on them.
They evolved their work to it's natural end.

Laughing out loud

That's another fine mess you've got me into - get me out of here!

I've just bought the box set from Amazon at £29.98!

That's the first of my Christmas presents bought. :D

Atoll K or Utopia (whatever it is called) is definetly one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Watched the 6 Fox ones now. The 3 film box sets (two of them) dropped in price form a stupid 24 quid each to £9 each. I'm now awaiting Air Raid Wardens from the USA. And I can't find Bonnie Scotland on DVD anywhere at the moment.

Still shudder when I have Utopia flashbacks. >_<

I just wish they were still on TV
When I was 8 or 9 they used to show them every day at teatime.
I haven't seen much Bilko on Telly lately either,

Yes, a shame. They should definetly put some on this Christmas. BBC2 would every Christmas put on Laurel and Hardy films and the Sherlock Holmes films starring Basil Rathbone and they just felt part of Christmas, put this hasn't happened for the last five or six years.