Laurel and Hardy Page 3

How do you think it's meant to be pronounced? Zah-vee? Savy, but with a harsher sound? Zav-vee? Bloody strange name.

The colourised versions are untreated for some odd reason. You'd have thought they'd have cleaned up the film and audio first then colourised but nope. It's the black and white that is the restored section. The colourisation is very well done though.

You will have a ball. I get the lot out once a year and go through in about 3 weeks. :D

That scene with the piano or pianola cracks me up everytime, thier faces are so dead pan when they start tap dancing on the wooden crate. IMO, the whole idea of the fall guy, the trigger type in today's sitcom's, probably came from Stan Laurel. Timeless comedy.

Quote: Aaron @ January 20, 2008, 8:17 PM

How do you think it's meant to be pronounced? Zah-vee? Savy, but with a harsher sound? Zav-vee? Bloody strange name.

They call it Zah-vee behind the counter. Yes its stupid, maybe they just went for a domain name that was available like some companies do. :S

Yeah SlagA, I can see myself going thru L&H binges. Maybe I'll do shots every time Laurel scratches his head or Hardy looks at the camera. Actually best not, there are 21 DVDs with 3 films or so on each. :S

Well, I've just ordered the later Fox features on 3 DVDs - Jitterbugs / Great Guns / Air Raid Wardens / Bullfighters / A-haunting we will go etc.

I'm getting them for completeness but hoping they won't disappoint. Amazon are doing them for £9 each at the mo.

used to like L and H and still do a bit just prefer abbott and costello now. favourite scenes both in way out west when stan literally eats ollie's hat and when stan can't stop laughing after being tickled

They are all great, though the Trail of the Lonesome Pine is my favourite.

Jimmy Finlayson, the Scotsman who played the sheriff (amongst others)used to crack me up with his double-takes and twitchy eyes.

Did you know, Stan Laurel was a ginger?

Quote: AngieBaby @ November 23 2009, 9:18 PM GMT

Did you know, Stan Laurel was a ginger?

:O I always pictured him with grey hair. :P

Always loved 'Towed in a Hole' where Stan and Ollie are in the fish business!

Quote: SlagA @ November 23 2009, 8:06 PM GMT

Well, I've just ordered the later Fox features on 3 DVDs - Jitterbugs / Great Guns / Air Raid Wardens / Bullfighters / A-haunting we will go etc.

I'm getting them for completeness but hoping they won't disappoint. Amazon are doing them for £9 each at the mo.

Actually some of the later L and H films are pretty good, just not in the style of the classic Hal Roach films.

The film I've stayed away from is their last, Atoll K. That looks a bit tragic.

Atoll-K AKA Utopia - so bad they named it twice. I've got it but not got around to watching it all yet. Saw opening 5 mins and the camerawork is shite beyond belief. So will need a time to prepare for the onslaught of finishing it.
:)

Quote: SlagA @ November 24 2009, 2:13 PM GMT

Atoll-K AKA Utopia - so bad they named it twice. I've got it but not got around to watching it all yet. Saw opening 5 mins and the camerawork is shite beyond belief. So will need a time to prepare for the onslaught of finishing it.
:)

Slag A, if you need any support or counselling when you've managed the entire film, feel free to get in touch!

Another who can't remember the titles, but my favourite is definitely the one where they are broke, and it's snowing, they're starving and they find a policeman's wallet - comedy bliss - Stan coming out of the barrell like a balloon ahh......ahh!

I also love the saw mill one, just pure slapstick from start to finish.

And Tit for Tat, another simple slapstick one.

Oh and the one with the ape, that's one of their best in fact.

And the one when they join the Foreign Legion, that's just superb.

Never mind best double act, they are just the best comedy act ever.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 24 2009, 3:06 PM GMT

Another who can't remember the titles,

Never mind best double act, they are just the best comedy act ever.

Ahem.

The first one you mention is Below Zero, the saw mill is 'Busy Bodies' the ape one is 'The Chimp', and they did two in the foreign legion, 'Beau Chumps' and 'Flying Deuces'.

And yes, they are.

Ah excellent, the titles have arrived, ta. Now to look on Amazon etc. for Christmas pressies. Yeah I think it's Beau Chumps, the one I'm on about - where every recruit has joined up because they've been spurned by a woman - the same woman, I think it was Jean Harlow, everyone's got the same photo, including the evil commander! The rest is just a masterpiece.