Laurel and Hardy Page 11

They have a lot of regular actors playing similar roles, like the thug or the drunk character. In John McCabe's bo, Stan has high praise for Billy Gilbert. Them That Hills is also the only Laurel and Hardy film with a sequel as it's kinda followed by Tit For Tat.
More interesting facts to break the ice at parties.

Watched "Helpmates" again on TPTV this weekend - My God, that is so funny and a film I will never tire of. They must have had great fun working out how to cover Ollie in not only soot, but then flour, and again, I was in stitches..??

Their work will not be beaten, in my books.

Quote: Lazzard @ 1st May 2022, 5:22 PM

Their work will not be beaten, in my books.

Agread.

I can watch the sequence where Ollie thinks Stan has lost a leg and carries him around, again and again, each time howling with laughter.

"Why didn't you tell me you had both legs?"
"You didn't ask me."

If you're talking straight laughter, no one's ever come close to Laurel and Hardy.

It's all about pathos.
"Fat man falls down hole" raises a smirk - but has no depth
"Fat man who thought today was going to be a good day, a turning point in his life maybe, trying his hardest to make things right, falls down hole" - is sublime.
Even better if you can see something of yourself in them.
The creation of a character like Ollie is at the heart of all great comedy.
Fawlty, Mainwaring, Del Boy, Frank Spencer etc etc.
It's the difference between the great and the ordinary.

'Tis also about being f**king funny as f**king f**k.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th July 2019, 9:00 AM

"Busy Bodies" this week in TPTV and one their funniest, set in a saw mill. The routine of Stan punching the other worker AND Ollie is SO funny. Laughing out loud

Just watched this yet again - never tire of it. Absolutely hysterical. ???

We've got two new Cats
and have named them Stan & Ollie because they are a double act in Black and white

I don't know how to post pictures but they are cute

Watched "County Hospital" yet again on TPTV, God that is SO FUNNY from the moment Stan pulls up outside the hospital to when he drives him home, and the pièce de résistance is when the doctor grabs the metal weight from Stan and tumbles out the window with it - I'm just laughing uncontrollably, and when the cord breaks and Ollie crashes down on the bed, destroying it has to be one of the finest ever pieces of slapstick

I'll never tire of it

My second favourite after County Hospital, is Helpmates, which was on TPTV again, where Ollie has had a party, his wife is coming home early and he enlists Stan to help him clean the house up. There is so much going on in this classic, both spoken and slapstick, which never fails to make me laugh constantly.

Why can't modern comics make films like this.........

I may have said this before but Pluto TV has a Laurel and Hardy channel
and it's free
And I think it's on the UK version.
Also My cats Stan and Ollie are settling in well and Ollie does have a little Oliver Hardy Moustache
So as soon as I work out how to post pics I'll resurrect the Cat thread if we have one

Thanks for that information Steve.
I saw a short clip on Twitter yesterday and laughed all the way through.
It was the one where a ship captain pays Stan and Ollie 1 dollar for every man they can press-gang into the navy.
They go into a drunken bar and bet customers they can't put a whole egg in their mouth without breaking it.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 29th November 2022, 1:33 AM

I may have said this before but Pluto TV has a Laurel and Hardy channel
and it's free

It's rather a long way to go to watch it though.