Laurel and Hardy Page 10

There are theories as to why one laughs when Oliver Hardy slips up. Some argue it is a cathartic expression of our own superiority: he would fall where we would not, as it were. Others maintain the opposite: we identify with the fellow and release not disdain but sympathy. I diasagree with both theories and posit that we laugh cos it's f**king funny. It's the f**king funniest f**king thing ever, so don't go f**king ruining it you arrogant, pompous, condescending f**king f**kers. F**k you. Really. Just f**k you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Fhj16QtcA

Lol! Amen!

Was watching Blotto before- hysterical

I think Oliver Hardy is just about my favourite comedy performer of all time- the looks to camera, the dainty little hand movements, the look of shear exasperation when Stan inflicts yet more pain and humiliation on him

Don't get me wrong Stan was great too - but Oliver Hardy was a genius

I know what you mean but Stan was the motivating force wasn't he?They were the complete comedy duo.

Stan was the brains behind them, but Oliver must be the funniest actor of all time.

My thoughts exactly. Laurel provided the ammo for Hardy to get the big laughs with his expressive style. A more natural fall guy for the slapstick punchline, we may never see.

Oh dear, I shouldn't have been eating my lunch while I watched "Helpmates" on TPTV today. Nearly choked a couple of times as I'd forgotten just how much slapstick they managed to cram into 20 minutes - poor Ollie!! Laughing out loud

And the dialogue, which Laurel was so good at, like here when he was trying to work out in his head if his retort was the right thing to say - So funny

Stan: Say, what do you think I am? Cinderella? If I had any sense I'd walk out on you.

Ollie: Well it's a good thing you haven't any sense!

Stan: It certainly is!.....................................

And finish the day off with "Way Out West" - yet another, this time full length classic, with two famous songs, one of which became a big hit second time around when both Stan and Ollie were long gone.

On Sunday, December 14, 1975, Laurel and Hardy shot to No. 2 with the song "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine." Only one thing stopped cinema's funny men from reaching the top position: Queen's million-selling mega-hit "Bohemian Rhapsody,"

The other thing that always impresses me is how light Ollie was on his feet, and watch the near perfect synchronicity of them both with the dance steps - wonderful! :D

Herc,I just can't say how much I love that duo and that song in particular. :)

Quote: Firkin @ 25th July 2021, 12:43 AM

Herc,I just can't say how much I love that duo and that song in particular. :)

One of the few things to come out of the pre-war era that is classic - they'll never die.

All the wives of L&H should get honourable mentions. Never a funny line written for them but their expressions and actions were always hilarious.

I dunno. What're you gonna cook? I'm gonna cook his goose. CLANG... One funny line is three more than most women got back then.

[quote name="Hercules Grytpype Thynne" post="1239954" date="24th July 2021, 3:21 PM"] If I had any sense I'd walk out on you.

Ollie: Well it's a good thing you haven't any sense!

Stan: It certainly is!.....................................

By a curious coincidence I was just talking about that line. Awesome.
A few years ago I was teaching comedy theatre to Italians and despite the language barrier, I used L and H as the perfect example of timing (the bricks in Dirt Work) and the slow burn (Ollie with The Chimp in his bed). They're still unequalled.

Quote: lofthouse @ 11th January 2020, 9:20 PM

I think Oliver Hardy is just about my favourite comedy performer of all time- the looks to camera, the dainty little hand movements, the look of shear exasperation when Stan inflicts yet more pain and humiliation on him

I couldn't put it better myself. Well, I could if I wanted to.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 26th July 2021, 12:26 PM

example of timing (the bricks in Dirt Work)

I 'borrowed' a version of that scene for a commercial once.
Drove the props man mad trying to get the timing of the bricks right.
Trouble was - I knew it by heart - so it had to be right.

Even my mother laughed at that bit. I remember because it's the only time we've ever agreed on anything.

Watched "Them Thar Hills" tonight - again so very, very funny, and now I find I'm spotting regular actors in the films.

There's bald and beady-eyed Scot James Finlayson of course, who was L&H's nemesis in many of their films, but also a face that keeps popping up is Billy Gilbert who was the doctor in tonight's film, and with his pseudo foreign accent was the doctor in "County Hospital" and the very irate husband in "The Music Box".

Also, a minor one was Charlie Hall, who they had a hilarious slapstick sequence with in tonight's film, was the postman in "The Music Box".

Couple of bits of useless trivia for you. :D