Laurel and Hardy Page 10

Michael Monkhouse

• Friday 10th January 2020, 8:49am
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 4,279 posts

There are theories as to why one laughs when Oliver Hardy slips up. Some argue it is a cathartic expression of our own superiority: he would fall where we would not, as it were. Others maintain the opposite: we identify with the fellow and release not disdain but sympathy. I diasagree with both theories and posit that we laugh cos it's f**king funny. It's the f**king funniest f**king thing ever, so don't go f**king ruining it you arrogant, pompous, condescending f**king f**kers. F**k you. Really. Just f**k you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Fhj16QtcA

lofthouse

• Saturday 11th January 2020, 9:20pm
  • Nowhere, England
  • 9,071 posts

Lol! Amen!

Was watching Blotto before- hysterical

I think Oliver Hardy is just about my favourite comedy performer of all time- the looks to camera, the dainty little hand movements, the look of shear exasperation when Stan inflicts yet more pain and humiliation on him

Don't get me wrong Stan was great too - but Oliver Hardy was a genius

john tregorran

• Sunday 12th January 2020, 1:52am
  • mornington,victoria, Australia
  • 659 posts

I know what you mean but Stan was the motivating force wasn't he?They were the complete comedy duo.

Michael Monkhouse

• Monday 13th January 2020, 5:38pm
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 4,279 posts

Stan was the brains behind them, but Oliver must be the funniest actor of all time.

Alfred J Kipper

• Friday 17th January 2020, 2:29am
  • Aldershot, England
  • 6,018 posts

My thoughts exactly. Laurel provided the ammo for Hardy to get the big laughs with his expressive style. A more natural fall guy for the slapstick punchline, we may never see.