Ken Dodd Page 2

I won't be taking the piss - he is one of my comedy heroes.

The repeat of An Audience With Ken Dodd last night was fabulous. I have seen it many times and still laughed all the way through.

He said 'the last time he saw so many stars was when he banged his head on the mangle'.

Then he described his wife's nighty as diaphanous with the emphasis on the 'fanny' part of the word. Pretending that the audience didn't understand the word diaphanous, he explained further 'you know, semi shufty'.

1st class material, and professional timing

Quote: JohnnyD @ February 27 2011, 11:59 AM GMT

People forget (or nowadays never knew) how huge Ken was in the Sixties. Last night's Arena programme showed the (1965?) Beatles in awe of him.

I remember everyone listened to his (1965?) Sunday Afternoon Radio show with his catchphrase: 'Where's Me Shirt'.

(Now try and take the piss out of that, someone!)

People the Beatles liked; Maharishi, Heather Mills, Yoko Ono, Cilla Black

result Beatles may be the greatest band ever and vastly talented beyond measure.

They just weren't excellent judges of character.

Ken Dodd's massive success as a recording artist in the 60s (more number 1s than the Stones or the Beatles I think) is usually sighted as a reason the 60s weren't as cool as they are made out to have been.

Apparently he doesn't pay his Diddy Men, seriously he gets kids from drama school to do freebies (which really isn't on for a commercial production).

I mean what the hell is he planning on doing with all his hoarded spondoolicka?

Quote: sootyj @ February 28 2011, 10:40 AM GMT

Apparently he doesn't pay his Diddy Men, seriously he gets kids from drama school to do freebies (which really isn't on for a commercial production).

When I saw 'Joseph and his Amazing blah, blah Dreamcoat' all the kids in the chorus were paid bugger all AND they had to supply their own multi coloured t-shirts too.

What price experience?

Quote: JohnnyD @ February 28 2011, 10:33 AM GMT

There was a revealing bit in the Arena film where Doddy was walking in the street past a busker. An ill-at-ease Ken was heard to say 'it's your money' to the crew.

I think he was saying: If you want to film me giving money to a busker, then you give me the money up front.

Or he just thought the busker was shit, and didn't deserve them giving him their money.