The Comedy Tumbleweed Awards 2006 Page 2

Bring on the BSG awards, good and bad! I have my own pet ones, but saving them up til then.....

"Shows just what pap is sold to America then, I guess"

Well, I also have seen a huge amount of British shows. Gervais is the king. The Office is as good as it gets, as is Extras and his two stand-up shows are great, not to mention the XFM shows and podcasts. BTW, I thought the second season of Extras was even better than the first. I say again, it's odd that someone who is constantly bashing the likes of Gervais and Peter Kay is doing a site on British sitcoms. It seems that they've lost credit because they are so popular. Also, I agree with the poster before that said the awards pretty much just voted against everything. What's left that they like? And I've never seen Tittybangbang, so I can't really voice an opinion about that.

Yeah, a BSG awards would be cool.

Quote: Mike @ December 22, 2006, 2:29 PM

I say again, it's odd that someone who is constantly bashing the likes of Gervais and Peter Kay is doing a site on British sitcoms.

Why? They don't define comedy, and especially not sitcoms. They're two particular people who I don't happen to like much - especially Kay. If I couldn't list a single sitcom I liked, or maybe just 2 or 3, then it would be "odd" that I was involved in the site. I love many, many other shows, but not everyone has to like everything, and they're just not to my personal tastes.

Quote: Mike @ December 22, 2006, 2:29 PM

Well, I also have seen a huge amount of British shows. Gervais is the king. The Office is as good as it gets, as is Extras and his two stand-up shows are great, not to mention the XFM shows and podcasts. BTW, I thought the second season of Extras was even better than the first. I say again, it's odd that someone who is constantly bashing the likes of Gervais and Peter Kay is doing a site on British sitcoms.

I liked The Office and thought that Extras was OK. His stand up is also good but, unlike you, I'm not of the opinion that Ricky Gervais is a Godlike genius. I find it strange that an American would rave about him to the extent that you do, as he is basically ripping off Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm and selling it back to you guys.

bearing in mind everyone on that site hates pretty much everything, but yeah they are right about alot of things bassically 2006 was a poor year for comedy time trumpet was a bit of a let down it had the odd moment but overall slightly dissapointing, man 2 man with dean learner tainted darkplace and was basically dogshit, gervais is not great the office is amazing but extras is dogshit and his stand up has nothing much to say....

First off, Curb Your Enthusiasm isn't that great. It had about 2 good seasons (1 and 3), and neither were great. Plus, Extras isn't really similar to CYE or Seinfeld. I've heard that said before, but having seen all of those three shows, I don't see it.

nah your wrong curb is amazing fact

No, it's not a fact.

I love Curb, and all Ricky's work. And to be honest I don't find it particularly similar.
Ricky says he's ripped off Christopher Guest if anyone.

Gervais is not a 'godlike genius' in fact he is far from. The Office was good. Extras is pretty poor on the whole, esepcially Series 2...there's nothing funny about laughing at disabled people, or people with serious illnesses, homosexuals or ethnic minorities...which is what most of Extra's derives its 'jokes' from...and saying 'oh its suppose to be ironic' or 'oh but thats how that character would act' is not a valid excuse...because the point still remains that that's what he's trying to get the audience to laugh at.

Plus Extras totally ripped off Sienfeld and Curb and even elements of I'm Alan Partridge....and if we wan't to get down to it then you could even say Gervais stole 'The Office' idea from The Day Today's - The Office.

Gervais is not a genius..you just have to look back at his old 11 O'Clock Show segments to see that.

Curb is good, very good in fact, but its not amazing. This show, whilst, like Ive all ready said, being very good, has had a bit too much praise heaped on it. I am a fan, but I think there are other shows that are just as good and better. Plus, things about it do bug me sometimes, such as the fact his wife never sticks up for him or believes him, even if shes seen with her own eyes whats just happened! I know this facilitates the comedy to some degree, but it gets on your nerves and makes you want Larry to give her a good bloody shake! Jeff and his sweary wife are both great though!

I wouldn't call Gervais a genius, but then I can't think of anyone I would call a genius. But I absolutely loved him back on the 11 o clock show segments! And on his short lived chat show.

There were moments in both series of Extras that weren't perfect. But since he doesn't hold himself up as godlike, and neither should anyone else, that's not really such a sin, is it?

I'm looking forward to seeing his (Gervais) meeting with Garry Shandling. On Channel 4 soon - apparently Shandling doesn't warm to him that much.

Not that I don't like Ricky Gervais. I think he's excellent. :)