The Comedy Tumbleweed Awards 2006

Sorry I'm late with this, but I only found this out yesterday.

The Chris Morris fansite Cook'd and Bomb'd has a mock award ceremony called the Comedy Tumbleweed Awards. Tumbleweed's are given to the worst comedy acts, dishonouring the worst that comedy has to offer. This is the second time the awards have been given out and there have been some interesting results.

* Tittybangbang won five awards, the most on the night. These were "Worst sketch show", "Worst new TV comedy", "Worst Overall Comedy", "Worst Comedy DVD Release" and "Most Inexplicably Recommissioned Comedy Show".

* Ricky Gervais won several awards for Extras and The Ricky Gervais Podcast, including "Worst Sitcom", beating Hyperdrive, Grown Ups and Blessed. Extras tied with Little Britain for the award for "Most Unironic Ironicism", the award for racism and sexism in comedy. Gervais has won more Tumbleweed's than anyone else.

* Green Wing retained the award for "Worst Camerawork", having won it in the first award ceremony in 2005.

* Lead Balloon won the award for "Most Blatant Plagiarism", for copying Curb Your Enthusiasm.

* Armando Iannucci won the "Most Disappointing Comedian" award, with Time Trumpet winning the awards for "Most Disappointing Comedy" and "Most Depressing Use Of Crap YouTube Virals And Spotty "Comedy" "Writers"".

* "Worst Radio Comedy" went to Quote Unquote and Chris Moyles won "Worst Radio Personality".

* The Simpsons was voted the "Worst International Comedy Show".

* Mock the Week won "Worst Comedy Gameshow", whilst Alan Davies won "Most Useless Talk/Panel Show Guest".

* Russell Brand won two awards, "Worst Stand-up" and "The More Effort In Their Hairstyles Than Their Material Award".

* Channel 4 was awarded "Worst Overall Channel For TV Comedy", whilst Channel 4's Head Of Entertainment And Comedy Andrew Newman was given "The Lifetime Achievement Award For Crap Comedy".

* The Friday Night Project won "Worst Entertainment Programme", whilst Justin Lee Collins and Alan Carr won "Worst Comedy Entertainment Personality".

* Other awards given where presented to Charlotte Church ("Worst Comedy Newcomer"), Richard Ayoade ("Worst Comedy Actor"), Ashley Jensen ("Worst Comedy Actress"), The Pink Panther Remake ("Worst Comedy Film") and Sam Wollaston ("Worst Critic").

Comedy Tumbleweed Awards 2006

Ha! Ha! Have to agree with the majority of that.

Don't agree with the Time Trumpet stuff. Pleased to see Tittybangbang get a right roasting though! :D

seems a bit pointless as they just attacked more or less everything! Agree about Tittybangbang though.

Actually, i dont understand the 'worst camera work' thing for green wing. I cant say I ever noticed it, if any show deserves that title then its The Thick Of It, a great comedy, often utterly ruined by the completely pointless camera work which actually makes me feel like Im going to throw up, so i have to stop looking at the screen and just listen instead.

I wouldn't argue with most of those, especially Andrew Newman,C4 Head Of Entertainment And Comedy, getting The Lifetime Achievement Award For Crap Comedy. The following sums up C4's problems:

"I have no idea how this man keeps his job. He's been responsible for changing Channel 4 comedy from a vibrant, eclectic and daring melee of decent (sometimes great) new comedy, into a dirge of shite. Have you seen him on various shows? He looks about 20 and can barely string a sentence together. Newman, just because someone comes to you and says "This is really funny, it makes my friend laugh", this doesn't mean you should give them a television show. Have some standards for f**ks sake!"

Wow. They've made a few choices there, but by Christ they're not half picky.

Maybe we should start up our own awards ceremony here...?

That would be a good idea.

Alright, we're going to do it. Stay tuned for more info. :)

Hooray! It's time kick comic ass, or at least drop a banana-skin on the floor.

Hopefully it will also give us a chance to vote for our favourite shows of 2006? The Tumbleweed Awards are amusing in places but it gets a bit much wading through pages and pages of a couple of smartarses slagging off pretty much everyone in British comedy.

Oh that happy happy troupe of comedy lovers.

Leave poor wee Ayoade alone. Boo hiss!

Etc.

I do agree with about half of it though.

Extra 2 was in my opinion the best sitcom of the year. I agree with one or two of the obvious ones there, like Charlotte Church, but giving negative awards to Gervais, Ayoade and Green Wing is just wrong. Confetti coming in second as worst comedy film is also ridiculous. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was a very funny and entertaining flick. Yeah, I really disagree with a lot of the stuff there. What is with all of the Gervais bashing? He's the funniest person in England if you ask me.

They are bitter, hate success, and automatically want to denigrate anything that the masses like.

Although, anyone that gives Little Britain negative awards is alright by me!

I may be turning into one of them.... :O

Quote: Mike @ December 21, 2006, 4:01 PM

What is with all of the Gervais bashing?

It is completely OTT and reeks of a personal vendetta against Gervais. Extras beats Hyperdrive, Grown Ups and Blessed for worst sitcom. Blessed? Grown Ups? Hyperdrive? Three of the worst sitcoms shat in to existence and still Extras wins.

At the same time, Tittybangbang deserves all the abuse it gets and their spoof of Lead Balloon is funny.

JACK DEE'S CHARACTER
Kids today with their Sony Walkmans, I don't know. I never had all that when I was young. I had to make do with a Dansette record player.

DRY GAG WRITER CHARACTER
(DRYLY) Oh yeeeaah, I remember those. My great great great grandfather once read about them in a history book. Boom boom, Sock it to me. Here come de judge.

JACK DEE'S CHARACTER GLOWERS AND WINCES

Quote: Mike @ December 21, 2006, 4:01 PM

What is with all of the Gervais bashing? He's the funniest person in England if you ask me.

Shows just what pap is sold to America then, I guess. ;)

I'm part of that forum and I agree some of the Gervais bashing is over the top. But Extras was shit wasn't it...the second series anyway. I agree with most of the winners, apart from Brand getting worst Stand Up...but the people who wrote that seem to slag off every person in British Comedy which is a bit stupid if you ask me, because if you don't like the people who you've given awards to and then you dont like the competetion neither..then who the hell do you like.