Doctor Who... Page 349

I liked the last ten minutes, with Doctor Who playing god. But the rest of the story was stuff we've seen a thousand times before on Doctor Who. And the zombies were frankly rubbish. And whenever I saw David Tennant zipping about on his little cart I thought of Gob in Arrested Development.

Looking forward to the Christmas specials. If only to find out why The Master's gone all Billy Idol.

A pretty average episode apart from the third act where the Doc showed why it's bad to be alone for too long.

The amount of times I've shouted in the street: 'I am TimeLord victorious!'
The funny looks you get. Tcha!

:(

I don't have BBCA on my cable package so I have to go to a friends house to watch Dr Who now....stupid SiFi channel grrrrr

Yeah! They don't even know how science is spellt, the fools!

A little surprised at some of luke warm reactions to the episode on here, I thought it was a bit of a cracker. Not up there with the very best or anything, but really good stuff. Tennant's never been better too.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 16 2009, 6:50 PM GMT

A little surprised at some of luke warm reactions to the episode on here, I thought it was a bit of a cracker. Not up there with the very best or anything, but really good stuff. Tennant's never been better too.

Meh, some of the people moaning have found fault with every single episode. I must admit I thought it was going to be shit for 15/20 minutes, but it turned out awesome. Made me shiver a few times with its awesomeness.

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2009, 9:45 PM GMT

Speaking as an averagely brained viewer, I didn't notice any holes that bothered me in the slightest.
Maybe it's just science-minded/anal types who care. (not perjorative*)

*word of the week.

I will come back and read the rest of the threads tommorrow but it was two acts

1, set up the situation etc and build the significance

2. Build more and more complications so that it is seemingly impossibe to get out of it, take a really clever writer to come up with a third act that reverses our expectations and resolve everything cleverly with neat twists and a stunning ending.

2a. Summon the tardis and f**k off home. That will do.

Quote: Griff @ November 16 2009, 10:01 PM GMT

It's almost like you don't respect Russell T.Davies's mastery of TV writing.

Almost.

I thought it was quite good. Looking forward to Christmas.

Quote: Marc P @ November 16 2009, 10:02 PM GMT

Almost.

I can't wait to read about the punch-up at the Writers Guild awards...

MARC: Doctors!
RUSSELL: Doctor Who!
MARC: Doctors!
RUSSELL: Doctor Who!

...and so on.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 16 2009, 6:50 PM GMT

Out of interest Matthew - did you think the first half was much cop? Cos I didn't. Overall I liked it because the second half was very good, but it was a pretty disappointing beginning.

Quote: Badge @ November 17 2009, 1:38 AM GMT

Out of interest Matthew - did you think the first half was much cop? Cos I didn't. Overall I liked it because the second half was very good, but it was a pretty disappointing beginning.

Well, apart from all that annoying zooming in business on the computer screens, and the rather rubbish robot reveal before the opening credits (were we supposed to laugh? Be worried? Scared? What??), I can't say I found the first twenty minutes particularly bad in any way, no. The second half obviously had more of the meat and the interest, but I can't say I was bored or anything by the first twenty minutes. More or less everything about this episode was better than the last two I thought.

Quote: Marc P @ November 16 2009, 9:59 PM GMT

2a. Summon the tardis and f**k off home. That will do.

So you think Russell T Davies and his team, coming to the end of their tenure on Doctor Who, just couldn't be bothered to work out an interesting way for the Doctor to get out of this situation (as if that was difficult) and said, what the hell, let him use the Tardis? When rule number one for any new script writer on Doctor Who is (1) The Doctor never uses the Tardis to escape.

Or maybe Russell T Davies and his team are not moronic, witless, dullard hacks and are actually aware that this is a taboo for Doctor Who; that there is a dramatic purpose to the script; that showing the Doctor break such a hard and fast rule shows the line has been crossed, that this is not the Doctor as you know him any more.

Maybe you are right and they don't give a damn. Maybe they are happy to phone-in a substandard script and can't wait to move on. Or maybe they want to make this the best send off they can and unfortunately this is going over some people's heads?

Do you work on the show BB?

Quote: Griff @ November 17 2009, 11:18 AM GMT

Quite right. Sometimes he uses a flying bus.

Laughing out loud