Doctor Who... Page 1,079

The Bill is Hogarth and the Walking Dead is those mass produced seaside postcards with oldmen gawping at buxom ladies in nudist camps.

Well it's not that bad. Just not my cup of tea.

The Walking Dead is the best thing evah. And it is still 14 weeks until it comes back. :(

Quote: zooo @ 12th July 2014, 4:11 PM BST

Yes but The Bill is Banksy and The Walking Dead is Michelangelo.

My problem with TWD is the number of filler episodes thrown in to stretch out the budget across an entire season. When it works, it works brilliantly, Series 3 Episode 4 where Carl has to carry out a C-section on his own mother is some of the finest telly ever...evers!

But six episodes of people wandering around the backwoods of Georgia made me hate TWD. Even then, it still had the brilliant 'Look at the flowers Lizzy'.

AMC have got to stop pulling this crap or they're going to lose viewers by the millions.

Unless there is an actual zombie outbreak and the actors all get eaten.

When you watch them the first time some episodes do seem a little slow, I guess because you're desperate to know what's happening with the other storylines. But on repeat watches there are no weak episodes, and they all come into their own. On the second or third watch, I'm always surprised I ever thought those episodes were slower/boring.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 12th July 2014, 4:19 PM BST

Series 3 Episode 4 where Carl has to carry out a C-section on his own mother is some of the finest telly ever...evers!

It's a bloody good'n.

And look at the flowers. I love how they're not scared to kill off kids.

There's been some interesting critiquing of Game of Thrones, that it's pretty liberal with the old nudity and brutal rape. On account ofthat's what 11th century Europe was like. Leading to the excellent critique, GOT realistic about rape, not so realistic about dragons. I think one turning point was when they cut Lady Stoneheart, one of the only really strong female characters in the book.

Quote: zooo @ 12th July 2014, 4:21 PM BST

But on repeat watches there are no weak episodes

Oh dear, I'm seeing the spreading of Stottitis is happening again. Next you'll be telling me that there are no weak episodes of Doctor Who.

The deadly flu outbreak in the prison that took up six episodes is a classic case in point. It wasn't needed, it was redundant, because get this, the survivors are already fighting a deadly virus called a zombie plague.

Similarly, going over old character ground again and again and again - such as Carl's relationship with Rick was getting to the point of repetitious tedium. 'Morning Carl, what would you like for breakfast?', 'I hate you, Shane was a better dad and Mum is dead because of you!'. It was dramatic the first time, on the fourth go round, it was just irritating.

And don't get me started on the build up to finding Terminus, showing every single character saying: 'We're lost' before bumping into a tree. Huge swathes of this show were taken up with nothing happening - either story or character wise. It was like Groundhog Day watching the same people having the same discussions over and over again.

Pah, you casual viewers are so simple minded.
Buy the DVD, watch it obsessively 300 times per week and stop being such a loser. ;)

Seriously though, you must notice more the second time you watch something. I miss a hell of a lot on just a single viewing.

Quote: zooo @ 12th July 2014, 4:34 PM BST

Seriously though, you must notice more the second time you watch something. I miss a hell of a lot on just a single viewing.

It's TWD not TED, I pretty much get it all the first time round. Though if I'm confused about anything - because sometimes they'll throw in comic book stuff without any explanation to the 'casual viewer' - I'll go on You Tube and watch some reviews from knowledgeable fans.

Nerds!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 12th July 2014, 3:57 PM BST

You seem to be alarmed that Hannibal and the people who enjoy it are somehow being 'tainted' by what they see on screen. That they secretly harbour desires to spill blood and eat human flesh, that murder is being glamorised or the viewer desensitised (so did Mary Whitehouse oddly). Worst of all, Hannibal is shown to be an intelligent, erudite, sophisticated killer - welcome to the wonderful world of fiction. In real life, very few people get murdered by a serial killer and even fewer get chopped up, cooked and served with a vintage Bordeaux.

No. Wrong again. I don't worry that they'll be tainted. Real life catches up with everyone eventually. When someone headbutts you in real life you start to question why it appears in so much TV - even sitcom - with so little consequence for either party and then you realise - neither writer, director or actors have actually been headbutted. It's just a device to them. They're making up stories with little bits of life lego.

Writers who have worthwhile life experience to impart don't write about zombies or vampires or Sith lords or similar bollocks.

Now I don't want to take away your fun, for some notion of your own good - I'm not Mary Whitehouse - I'm more interested in looking at why these programmes are made and what they mean - which is obviously different from what they are about.

Jimmy McGovern now theres a fella who understands a good head butt

Only people who haven't watched The Walking Dead think it's about zombies. The title doesn't refer to the zombies, it refers to the people left alive.

Quote: sootyj @ 12th July 2014, 5:58 PM BST

Jimmy McGovern

<3
Although I completely forgot to watch his latest show.

What do you think about the BBC3 zombie series?

http://www.io9.com/geronimo-first-work-safe-look-at-the-new-x-rated-docto-1624675719