Doctor Who... Page 1,017

Quote: playfull @ August 6 2013, 11:27 AM BST

Language is fluid and ever evolving - what sounds wrong to one generation sounds right to another. I personally have no problem with an actress being referred to as an Actor, in the same way I have no problem with a Doctress being referred to as a Doctor.

I never understood the actor/actress thing when I younger. I still don't really. As far your job is concerned, I don't see why your gender needs to be considered.

All that matters to me is that everyone's forum name is real and precisely accurate. As mine is.

I don't have an issue with actor/actress comedian/comedienne.

What really sets my teeth on edge is adding 'lady' as a prefix to everything.

My dad refers to me as a 'lady barrister' and talks about 'lady judges' and 'lady policemen'.

I don't mind using feminised words, I object to people going out of their way to point out that a particular individual is female. It's irrelevant.

Quote: reds @ August 6 2013, 12:50 PM BST

I never understood the actor/actress thing when I younger. I still don't really.

Actress used to kinda be a euphemism for prostitute.

Quote: Horseradish @ August 6 2013, 12:55 PM BST

All that matters to me is that everyone's forum name is real and precisely accurate. As mine is.

My forum name is in fact deliberate and accurate, if only in an ironic sense. I first used it on the (TPTT) 'The Play's The Thing' forum - A C4 competition a few years back. It was to imply that I was 'full' of 'plays'. The fallacy of which is bourne out by the fact that my failed TPTT entry still stands at fifteen pages...

Quote: Nogget @ August 6 2013, 1:32 PM BST

Actress used to kinda be a euphemism for prostitute.

That explains why some 'celebrities' are often described as 'Actresses'...

And to get back on topic - very interested to see how the new Doctor shapes up - loved him in 'Thick of it'. I can only imagine he will be 'fiercely intelligent'.

Quote: playfull @ August 6 2013, 11:27 AM BST

Language is fluid and ever evolving - what sounds wrong to one generation sounds right to another. I personally have no problem with an actress being referred to as an Actor, in the same way I have no problem with a Doctress being referred to as a Doctor.

It would be Doctrix - and the word does exist in that latinate form - although I've never seen it used.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ August 6 2013, 4:58 PM BST

It would be Doctrix - and the word does exist in that latinate form - although I've never seen it used.

What a great word - never heard it before - full of all sorts of interesting possibilities. In fact I feel a sitcom coming on...

Quote: Jennie @ August 6 2013, 1:03 PM BST

I don't have an issue with actor/actress comedian/comedienne.

What really sets my teeth on edge is adding 'lady' as a prefix to everything.

My dad refers to me as a 'lady barrister' and talks about 'lady judges' and 'lady policemen'.

I don't mind using feminised words, I object to people going out of their way to point out that a particular individual is female. It's irrelevant.

Knowledge is light.

German has gendered nouns on it professions and it's one of the most liberated (and dykey) places there is.

The German word for a male doctor is 'Arzt' and a female doctor is an 'Ärtzin'. Knowing when someone tells you they went to see a doctor wether that doctor was a man or a woman from the construction of the sentence alone cannot be a bad thing.

It can also be generally useful. For instance the German for blowjob is Blasen so 'Bläserin' tells you it's a 'lady cocksucker' to use your Dad's preferred terminology.

Quote: playfull @ August 6 2013, 5:14 PM BST

What a great word - never heard it before - full of all sorts of interesting possibilities. In fact I feel a sitcom coming on...

Go and lie down.

Are they going to stop doing 3 episodes here and 3 there with massive annoying gaps in between?

I was talking to some 19 year olds today who had no idea whatsoever who Peter Capaldi is. The modern generation!

Quote: chipolata @ August 6 2013, 8:02 PM BST

I was talking to some 19 year olds today who had no idea whatsoever who Peter Capaldi is. The modern generation!

like to see blake Harrison as the doctor

NSFW

Quote: chipolata @ August 6 2013, 8:02 PM BST

You shoould have told them he's Sids Dad.

Quote: reds @ August 7 2013, 9:28 AM BST

You shoould have told them he's Sids Dad.

The 19 year olds would have been 13 and probably a bit too young to watch Skins when he was in it. You old fart.