'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' is complete shit Page 2

Welcome EMS. I agree with Charles. I used to love it when it was first on but don't feel the urge to watch it now.

Not even for Josie Lawrence.

Quote: Eat_My_Shirts @ December 25, 2007, 8:49 PM

I am sick to death of seeing reruns of this pile of tosh, on 'DAVE' 24 hours a day. It's awful. It was crap back when it was first broadcast, and it's even worse, now. It hasn't aged well AT ALL.

It's so cringe-worthingly bad. I feel embarrassed not just for the participants, but for the studio audience who are actually finding their stupid antics, funny. I just sit here and shake my head in disbelief that something so tame and cheesy is getting belly laughs and rolling-on-the-floor fits of laughter. These people are idiots. They're the type of people who find novelty Christmas socks, hilarious.

Also, if the people watching (the studio audience and people at home) honestly think that this is improvised, then they really are a bunch of big gullible bastards. If they'll believe that, they'll believe anything. It's obvious that the people in the audience shouting out things, have been planted there and told what to call out. I don't buy a second of it. Not that it makes any difference. Either way, it's simply not funny.

Don't even get me started on MOCK OF THE WEEK. Oh god. It's more toe-curling and cheesy than a severe case of in-grown toenails or something.

We'd get on famously, I'm sure. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/2447

I still catch the odd episode when I can, and still find it really funny (UK and US versions). Ryan Styles is a genius! It's always worth watching when he's on; especially when he does a song.

I adore Whose Line - at the moment I'm addicted to it. However, I do agree that the UK version is a bit pants. Tony Slattery is a God, but the US version is so much better. Ryan Styles, Colin Mochiere, Brad Sherwood, Greg Proops and Wayne Brady are awesome, and just being able to improvise that well and STILL make humour should be a testiment to that.
But Dave, sadly, is slowly driving a knife into it. Isn't it ironic that in the 80s/90s Slattery was so over exposed and now it's happening again?
The US version is pure comedy gold, I really disagree on that one. The UK version was just cutting it's baby teeth, that's why so many games failed to get laughs, but the US version seemed to have a formula that worked.
Although, that was proberly due to the old American tradtion of not wanting to take risks. The UK version did take risks, but most of them failed.

Side note - I love Mock the Week, but only for the last game. Same producer, almost same show.

Tony Slattery is great, as is Steve Frost.

If I hear one more person claim that who'se line is it anyway isn't improvised I swear I am going to grab the nearest object to me and figure out an ingenous way of killing the with it, only for them to claim with their last dying breath that I contrived the whole situation.

As someone who has been part of a performing improv group for a year I know that it is suprising how much good comedy you can come up with off the cuff and I have no problems totally believing in the authenticity of who'se line, (given the number of people who have pissed off my old group claiming it isn't improvised), theres nothing more annoying to an improv group than someone claiming it isn't real although I'm sure the people who performed on who'se line have gotten over it by now.

I totally agree Ondupe. Ryan Stiles and Colin Mocherie are IMPROV COMEDIANS. Hense they will IMPROVISE. Good improvisation is a bitch, which is why a) it can be easily bollocked up and b) there are so little improvisational shows on the television. Actually, I think Whose line is the only improv show I know off, and even that's cancelled.

Quote: Ondupe @ December 26, 2007, 7:38 PM

If I hear one more person claim that who'se line is it anyway isn't improvised I swear I am going to grab the nearest object to me and figure out an ingenous way of killing the with it, only for them to claim with their last dying breath that I contrived the whole situation.

As someone who has been part of a performing improv group for a year I know that it is suprising how much good comedy you can come up with off the cuff and I have no problems totally believing in the authenticity of who'se line, (given the number of people who have pissed off my old group claiming it isn't improvised), theres nothing more annoying to an improv group than someone claiming it isn't real although I'm sure the people who performed on who'se line have gotten over it by now.

It sounds like you should take it as a compliment.

Well I could take it as a compliment but that would deny me the oppertunity to rant, and I do love ranting so.

Lol, did you improvise the rant?

No I have kept a specially formed post ready in a .doc file for just such an eventuallity of this topic coming up so I can quickly copy and paste.

Just like Ryan Stiles.

I liked WLIIA back in the day, but I haven't seen it for a long time. I'd like to see the ones with Stephen Fry in as I don't think I ever caught them.

I used to love "props", it wasn't the best game they ever played but unlike some of the others it was always consistently very funny, "stand sit bend" was probably their most volatile game, sometimes hillarious, sometimes baffling and dull.

I love stand sit bend! And the alphabet game.
Most comedians couldn't do improv. Just like 99% of us couldn't. That's why people find it so hard to believe it's genuine.
I reckon Russell Brand could do it brilliantly.