Christmas Music

What is your personal favourite Christmas song of all time? Quite a hard one for me, but got to be Wizzard's I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day, closely followed by Holidays Are Coming from the Coke ads (the proper ones, not this year's crappy mcpoopoo).

No contest. Fairytale of New York by The Pogues, closely followed by the Slade song.

I agree with The Pogues and Kirsty McColl, but I'm sick to the back teeth of Slade.

How about White Christmas by Stiff Little Fingers (That'll give my age away)

My favourite Christmas song is the Mr Blobby song. I can't even remember what it was called but it had the dumbest lyric ever constructed and the simplest of tunes packed into a banal arrangement. I had nothing to do with it. People were buying the single as Christmas gifts for folks they hated. This encouraged them to buy the Mr Blobby video of which I had a nice slice.

I think it was called 'Mr. Blobby'. ;)

Not sure it really counts as a Christmas song though. May have been released at Christmas, but it's not got anything strictly to do with Christmas... Or else we'd have to consider Girls Aloud and Bob the Builder. >_<

It had bells and everything, Aaron.

Probably 'Happy Christmas - War is Over'. John Lennon. Closely followed by Pogues/Kirsty McColl and Greg Lake ('I believe in Father Christmas').

Yeah, yeah its predictable but who cares? Its Christmas!!!

:D

the pogues is a excelent song, it is grate to wake up to on christmas morning, i liked the darkness's one last year aswell, i never got why mad world got top spot (gary jules i think?)

Quote: Charlie Adams @ December 14, 2006, 2:03 PM

It had bells and everything, Aaron.

Might listen to it later. Classic tune! Cool

Go ahead - I was saying it's garbage.
It's a measure of how we are badly served by broadcasters in this Country that we can only pick from a range of about 26 songs connected with Christmas. If they were bothered about the music there are hundreds of great songs and millions of versions to play - Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock, HipHop - Destiny's Child (Beyonce) had a big hit Christmas album a few years ago. Of course, if broadcasters were bothered about quality we would never have to sit through bad comedy. Oh, ho we're back to Blobby again.

Ha ha, I know you were. Still utterly brilliant in its tackiness though.

Pogues and Kirtsy MacColl definitely-even if Im kind of a bit young to know it

Quote: Charlie Adams @ December 14, 2006, 3:43 PM

Go ahead - I was saying it's garbage.
It's a measure of how we are badly served by broadcasters in this Country that we can only pick from a range of about 26 songs connected with Christmas. If they were bothered about the music there are hundreds of great songs and millions of versions to play - Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock, HipHop - Destiny's Child (Beyonce) had a big hit Christmas album a few years ago. Of course, if broadcasters were bothered about quality we would never have to sit through bad comedy. Oh, ho we're back to Blobby again.

Yeah, its strange how Xmas in this country is stuck in the 1970's and 80's with a handful of good and not so good tunes. It appeals more to me cause I was a kid then and these things stick in the mind.

But you're right. It would be nice to hear a few different songs.

nb - St Etienne and Tim Burgess (from the Charlatans) 'I was born on Christmas Day' is another great tune.
:D

when do you think the media will stop re-using all the christmas songs from the 70s and 80s?I dotn think ever IMHO!

When someone comes out with something even nearly as good, I'd guess.