British Comedy Awards 2006

What are you views on last night's comedy awards. I was pleased that Russell Brand won best newbie, but I was disappointed with the Sacha Baron Cohen victory in the Ronnie Barker tribute. What are your views? :)

I was glad Peep Show finally won something. I was confused by the Russel Brand award though, hasn't he been around for f**king years?

Was routing for the Boosh in the live show catergorie, but Peep Show and the Boosh winning something at one award ceremony? It was never gonna happen. Especially as at that point Little Britain hadn't won anything.

I've not seen Borat, nor any of his other stuff, but from all the press coverage, I got the impression that a lot of the Borat movie was add-libbed by real people who thought they were making a real documentary. I could be wrong in this but if it's true, seems odd that it won an award for writing. Although there were obviously a lot of writers involved.

I've never watched Peep Show, so can't comment on that but had hoped Green Wing would win. And as for Ant and Dec, I used to have a dog whose turds provoked more laughter. Sorry, made that up. But are they really comedy?

the awards in my view were good choices, the only two i disagree with are the mighty boosh not winning the live stage show award i guess thats down to the size of little britains tour, and as i said ,borat, there has been muh better stuff out there this year with much better writing

The only ones that deserved an award were Stephen Merchant for Best TV Comedy Actor, Curb Your Enthusiasm for best international show and Borat (BTW, Steve, a lot of it is scripted) for Writers Guild Ronnie Barker Award. The rest is the usual mix of predictable (Harry Hill) and the nonsensical - e.g.:

Star Stories - Best New TV Comedy...Oh, just f**k off, will you. Even Tittybangbang is better than that shit.

Charlotte Church - Best Female Comedy Newcomer....FUCK OFF!!

oh i forgot about Charlotte Church, thats how good her show is, i always thought that someone had to be funny to be classed as a comedian, how stupid of me.

Quote: lewisroberts @ December 14, 2006, 12:15 PM

i always thought that someone had to be funny to be classed as a comedian

Peter Kay. ;)

What I saw last night was a throwback to the Tarbuck, Forsythe era when the gongs were only ever handed to the usual suspects. Nowadays it's a small pond of talent with some even smaller fish defecating in it. There was, however, some real gems like Stephan Merchant and I couldn't agree more with the Chris Tarrent award. But Charlotte Church? I mean great jugs but Best Female Comedy Newcomer? Yeah, right and Dawn French is slimmer of the year.

:O Russell Brand and Charlotte Church?????

God, if that's the best we can do for newcomers, then we are in trouble!

Charlotte Church, like Max Boyce before her, is not an 'ambassador' of Wales as the media here likes to portray her. Boyce and Church are making a nice living off perpetuating ridiculous Welsh stereotypes. Next time Max bends over, I'll show him where the leek goes. Charlotte Church, a giggly little girl who's been dragged in to a studio from the bus stop in Cardiff where she should be hanging out with her girlfriends, getting hammered on Bulmers. She and Max should be next for being "shot hanged" and I'll follow them. Comedy newcomer? What freakin' hope is left when showbiz believes its own mythology?

:S

Anyway, I'm all calm again now.

:)

Russell Brand's a fantastic stand up. I'm really glad he won.

Charlotte Church winning - how insulting to the other nominees! Actual comedians who've worked in comedy for years. I would have felt thoroughly embarrassed if I was her.

why hate on russel brand so much hes funny i can see why people hate him because he comes across a bit of a dick but he is funny plus he bangs supermodels fairplay to him

Quote: dyingtolive @ December 15, 2006, 11:09 PM

why hate on russel brand so much ... i can see why people hate him because he comes across a bit of a dick

I think you just answered your own question...

I personally cannot stand Russell Brand but accept that he is very popular. Some of my friends love him but he's just not my cup of tea. Sorry! :(

I've got this theory about Russell Brand but I'm intersted to know, does anyone else think he's the bastard son of Janet Street Porter?