The Royle Family! Page 5

Sarcasm not irony, Mort?

The Royle Family is the most dysfunctional family one would love to have.

At times I thought "I'm so glad I'm not completely stuck to the telly", some episodes made me feel great about myself, specially those where there's a bit of disdain and couch potatoing (if "potatoing" is really a lawful word), but then the Christmas specials come along and they really make me feel the need to have a well fused unit of a family as they are.

Yes, it's comedy, but within a society that's welded to the tube/screen, we can all see something of ourselves in the Royles. The Royle Family, as a show, delves in some sort of common intimacy most of us can identify with.

Anyways, this show is the ultimate in Dead Pan Comedy because, and here's the hilarious part, we all have a bit or a lot of the Royles in us.

The Queen of Sheba was a funny well done Christmas episode, got me all weepy-eyed and laughing. Now what show can give you such a blend of emotions within such a short time frame?

Best wishes and hope your year hasn't been f**ked yet.

Now that this wonderful sitcom is streaming on Netflix, I am watching the odd episode again - even though I have the box set and even videos. I'm one lazy sod!

Anyway, I guess this has been discussed before, but I can't believe how much Dave changed from the end of the first 3 series to the handful of Christmas specials aired circa 2008 onward.

He went from fairly 'with it' handyman, man's man Dave, to completely useless, speech impediment fueled dense Dave.

Why is this do you think?

He and Caroline were the writers so it was their call, whatever it is. Or, he might have forgotten how to portray the part of Dave given he's not a professional actor.

Thoughts?

They probably thought he was getting a bit boring and there was more comedy in making him seem dense.

It's happened before, most famously Bill in Hancock.

I would have to agree...not so great!