That Mitchell And Webb Look 2 Page 8

The zooo has spoken! :D

Big brother fan then are you? , figures.

I enjoyed it. Really liked the cricket sketch, even though it went on a bit too long. The petrol/cheese sketch was appauling though.

That was my favourite bit.
Petril.
:D

It doesn't take much...

Quote: Mark @ March 7, 2008, 5:33 PM

That sketch about the 'wacky' comedian who makes money out of 'zany' dares... does anyone else translate that a thinly veiled attack on either Dave Gorman or Danny Wallace?

Funnily enough, I was watching America Unchained a couple of days ago and thought to myself 'What is the point of this one? -- you are very near to turning into an unbearable tit who just doesn't want to get a proper job', and that was sad cos I really, really like Dave Gorman (the comedian, not one of the thousands with a similar name, especially the Norweigan). His other projects, The Dave Gorman Collection and Googlewhack were excellent but seemed to have come about as a genuine interest in following up an idea conjured on the spot; a thing we'd all like to do that most of us never follow through with. But this latest film smacked of pretentiousness. I'll still buy his book as he's a good author and tells a story well though.

Anyway, my point is that I was thinking just the same thing when the Mitchell & Webb sketch was on and it seemed more relevant. Seemed like they were having a stab at Tony Hawks (not the skateboarder) too at some point (as I'm sure I've heard them have a go at either Hawks or Gorman somewhere in the past, though don't quote me on that). Certainly until the bit about 'all your flatmates doing a similar sort of thing' which smelt of Danny Wallace (not the footballer).

Anyway, I did like this week's M&W. The 'cheese/milk' argument is the best sketch of the series so far -- made me laugh out loud and a very clever, strong finish from the boys. I liked the cricket sketch too as have about as much respect for the game as they do. The above sketch about possibly Dave Gorman was funny and a sly dig but it seemed rushed and I think could have been polished (or possibly written) better.

On the whole, there is a certain whimsy to this show that I like and sets it apart from other sketch shows. ie. I like some of the sketches ideas, even if they don't pay off for me personally. I can see how this could annoy the shit out of people so understand why people feel disappointed in it. I've never understood the Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar sketches though...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 8, 2008, 12:10 PM

I've never understood the Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar sketches though...

I don't think that they should have brought this character back. It seems like they've completely run out of ideas for him and this weeks sketch was completely unfunny.

Even when Olivia Colman kept screeching 'it's got germs!' ?

P.S. Yes, Tony Hawks (not the skateboarder) with his fridge.

Quote: zooo @ March 8, 2008, 12:27 PM

Even when Olivia Colman kept screeching 'it's got germs!' ?

Oh, that's what she was saying. I couldn't quite hear it. Thanks.

Oh, and Dan, very interesting post!

When Dave Gorman started ranting about that tattoo he got, that's when I went off him. I'm thinking, well yes Dave, you may now have a bad tattoo - but it's making you a lot of money so don't knock it!

This week's was rubbish. That was their last chance. No more.

How best to phrase this...the man with 19 penises, or whatever - I would have liked to seen them. Petrol/cheese was terrible, cricket was too long, Helivets was exactly the same as previous weeks.

A terrible waste. There's always Peep Show...

Sketches are too long and too obvious. Are they either going to satirise the media or do a sketch about normal people in abnormal situations. The suspenders are killing me :(

I've always like their sketches, some are misses for me, but I find most very funny. I personally prefer their radio series though, the sketches seem to have a bit more thought behind and seem less stretched then the TV ones can, I guess because radio scenes cost nothing in comparison to TV things so they go more with funny then budget.

The laugh track...but why??

It's so...un-British, ain't it?

Nevertheless,I'm glad M & W got a paying gig out of it. Now give us more PEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

I thought this week's was pretty weak. The usually mid-series dip in quality I suppose. Shame as I thought that the first 2 episodes of this series were great.

The last few are really hit or miss. I wish they could keep it up forever, but they are worrying me.

I enjoyed the Alien Invasion sketch. David Mitchel thinking he's the Messiah. Sir Digby Chicken Ceaser. The Julie Davenport sketch. It was quite good really.