FIRST DAY

One of my numerous 4laughs competition failures...

Dan

======================================================================
FIRST DAY
=========

INT: DAY. AN OFFICE.

A NEW GIRL HAS STARTED AT THE OFFICE AND IT'S HER FIRST DAY. SHE IS TAPPING AWAY AT HER KEYBOARD. A SMALL GROUP OF FELLOW WORKERS COLLECT NEARBY. ONE OF HER NEW COLLEAGUES, A MAN, APPROACHES HER. SHE SMILES IN THAT WANTING-TO-MAKE-NEW-FRIENDS WAY.

MAN
Hi! I realise it's your first day and know you might not have had a chance to meet any of your new work colleagues yet. So we were wondering if you'd care to join us over lunch?

GIRL (SMILING AND PLEASED SHE HAS A CHANCE TO MEET HER NEW WORKMATES)
That's very kind of you! Thank you very much!

SHE STANDS AND REACHES FOR HER COAT FROM THE NEARBY COATSTAND. SHE STARTS TO PUT IT ON

GIRL (CONT'D)
So, where do you usually go? Pub? Local Caff? Chippy?

MAN
No. We go sky-diving.

THE GIRL STOPS IN HER TRACKS AND LOOKS AT HIM INCREDULOUSLY.

GIRL (REMOVING HER JACKET)
Erm. You know what? I do actually have an awful lot to do here, first day and all. I think I'll stay here and get on with it.

SHE PUTS HER COAT BACK ON THE COATSTAND.

THE GROUP OF WORKERS LEAVE AND SHE CONTINUES WORKING. A SECOND GROUP OF WORKERS APPROACH. THEY ARE MORE BOISTEROUS AND FRIENDLIER. A DIFFERENT BLOKE APPROACHES HER.

BLOKE
Hi, you're the new girl, aren't you? Fancy joining us? We're going out over lunch.

GIRL (NOT QUITE AS KEEN AS BEFORE, BUT STILL KEEN TO MAKE AN IMPRESSION)
Well, I hope you're all a bit more normal than the group who just left.

BLOKE (LAUGHS)
Oh, you mean the Sky-divers?

SHE NODS AND LAUGHS TOO

BLOKE
Hee hee! They're crazy that lot -- throwing yourself out of a plane in an hour's lunchbreak. Ridiculous idea. Totally bonkers. No, I think you'll find we've got our feet firmly on the ground.

GIRL (STANDS UP REACHING FOR HER COAT AGAIN, LAUGHING)
Thank goodness for that. I thought perhaps the whole company was a bit loopy!

BLOKE
Nah! We're a bit more normal. Come on, let' go.

GIRL (JOINING THE GROUP AS THEY START TO WALK OUT)
So, where are we going?

BLOKE
Fire-walking...

ENDS

Amusing, but it might be better if, when the second bloke approaches her, she is the one that suggests fire-walking or whatever.

It started a bit wordy and too explanation(ey) IMHO! It could have been a lot shorter and I think the audience would still pick up on the fact she doesn't know anyone there.

MAN: So, how's your first day going?
GIRL: Yeah Great.
MAN: We're popping out lunchtime if you fancy joining us?

And there are probably a few other wordy sentences. I always have to trim my stuff down so just my amateur!!! opinion of course.