Love Soup on BBC4

What does everyone think of it?

And those who are watching it for a second time?

It was Ok, but the main thing I remember is hating the American character; wet and annoying and any parts that showed you bits of his comedic work were always terrible. But I must have liked it to some degree because I watched them all. Not a patch on One Foot In The Grave though. (Written by same person)

Did anybody see it tonight? The second episode. I'm watching it now but have missed the first five minutes. I only joined it when Gil was saying something like, "I should move to another country". Could anyone tell me what was going on?

I found it woefully unfunny, and don't think I made it past episode 2.

Also annoyed by the American.

It's advertised as a drama series though.

Jam and Jerusalem was advertised as a sitcom.

(But in this case, you're correct. This thread is in the wrong forum, and I shall move it henceforth.)

I didn't realise this was on again.

Jaime as the "Harlot" who falls asleep was great.

Firstly, I agree about the American. Although I always get uncomfortable when an American pops up in a British drama. With the honourable exception of Dempsey and Makepeace, it always seems wrong. Like Americans should stick to American dramas and Brits to British dramas.

Secondly, although I enjoyed it, I do think it's too long. I find that watching something for an hour on BBC is hard work, especially when the same story could be told in 45-50 minutes.

I watched it first time around and absolutely loved it - no complaints at all.
I was gutted there wasn't another series. :(

Quote: Rustle T Davis @ December 5, 2007, 2:29 PM

I was gutted there wasn't another series.

Funny you should mention that. Guess what crops up in the new 2008 BBC1 line up :)

Is it possible that somewhere out there a perfect partner exists for each of us? Back for a second series, Love Soup, created by David Renwick, takes an entertaining and provocative look at one woman's search for sanity, sex and a soul-mate.

Alice Chenery (Tamsin Greig) is joined by her sweet, yet slightly deranged, colleagues Cleo Martin (Sheridan Smith) and Milly Russell (Montserrat Lombard) as they struggle to find the perfect man, experiencing a series of disastrous dates, bizarre experiences and embarrassing mishaps.

Alice's life takes a turn for the better when she moves to London and embarks on a steady relationship with writer Douglas (Mark Heap), but will he turn out to be her soulmate – and will Alice ever discover the meaning of life?

Guest stars include Sanjeev Bhaskar, Lucy Speed, Bill Bailey, Ronnie Corbett, Jan Ravens, Helen Lederer, Mackenzie Crook, Charlie Brooks and Lynda Bellingham.

Quote: chipolata @ December 5, 2007, 10:22 AM

Secondly, although I enjoyed it, I do think it's too long. I find that watching something for an hour on BBC is hard work, especially when the same story could be told in 45-50 minutes.

Funny you should mention that. The new series is made up of 30 minute episodes.

Funny you should mention that. ... Oh nevermind.

;)

When is the new series? :O any ideas yeat?

Sheridon Smith is in it!?! It must be good :P

I saw a bit of this and thought it was OK. Like Gavin and Stacy if you don't treat it as a comedy its enjoyable. Pulling is like that aswell. TV Producers always want to say its a comedy because they feel it will attract a young hip audience but these things are really for sentimental old (and in my case young) farts who enjoy a bit of escapism.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ December 5, 2007, 4:33 PM

When is the new series? :O any ideas yeat?

No exact time or date yet but it's scheduled in the BBC1 Winter schedule (which means January - March 2008)

And Montserrat - worth watching for her alone.

I wonder which Mark Heap we'll get.