Hancock Page 9

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 16th March 2014, 4:32 PM GMT

Didn't think much of the Hollywood remake. Will Smith was totally miscast.

Surely you must have enjoyed CGI Sid James.

The needles the size of drainpipes were amazing in 3D.

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 15th March 2014, 10:33 AM GMT

Simon Greenall . . . Michael from Alan Partridge
Kevin Eldon . . . just loads, can't actually think of a single famous role though . . .
Robin Sebastian . . . well, has played Kenneth Williams
Kevin McNally . . . loads again, familiar face, but can't think of a big one . . .

I am of the same opinion as you and don't think they can recapture that ensemble . . .

I was lucky enough to attend last night's recording of 'The New Neighbour' and 'The Matador', and can confirm that the entire cast is excellent. You got your Kerr and James the wrong way round, by the way. The co-producer is Neil Pearson ('Between the Lines', 'Drop the Dead Donkey', 'Trevor's World of Sport'), whose idea the new series was.

McNally is one of only a handful of actors to feature in all four 'Pirates of the Caribbean' films. Is that big enough for you? Eldon had his own BBC2 sketch show last year, but my favourite of his roles was the supercilious cleaner in one episode of 'Black Books'. I didn't catch the name of the young lady playing Andrée (Melly), but she was very good.

Interestingly, presumably under the influence of his own name, McNally proved quite incapable of pronouncing the word 'signalling'.

McNally and Sebastian looked the part, so it was very easy to accept them in the roles. I'll reserve judgment on Eldon and Greenall till I hear the 'audio-only' version when it goes out in November. I suspect Eldon might have been just a little too Australian.

Just been listening to an original 'Hancock's Half Hour' on BBC Radio 4 Extra. But the previous programme was a political drama. Just as I was looking Bill Kerr up on Wikipedia, one of the characters asked:

"What was wrong with the existing Bill?"

Thanks for all that information, Font. My taste(ear?)buds have been truly whetted!

Quote: The Font @ 16th April 2014, 1:07 PM BST

McNally is one of only a handful of actors to feature in all four 'Pirates of the Caribbean' films. Is that big enough for you? Eldon had his own BBC2 sketch show last year, but my favourite of his roles was the supercilious cleaner in one episode of 'Black Books'. I didn't catch the name of the young lady playing Andrée (Melly), but she was very good.

I'm well aware that Kevin E had his own show and am a big fan, which was why I thought he'd play Sid having played Dodgy Phil in World of Pub.
McNally I was trying to think of a prominent role he'd played and not just a bit part in huge Hollywood blockbusters . . . Spooks deep fryer guy?

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 17th April 2014, 11:51 AM BST

I'm well aware that Kevin E had his own show and am a big fan, which was why I thought he'd play Sid having played Dodgy Phil in World of Pub.
McNally I was trying to think of a prominent role he'd played and not just a bit part in huge Hollywood blockbusters . . . Spooks deep fryer guy?

Whilst not exactly Barbossa, his character was hardly a bit part.

Anyway: Dad.

I know I have posted this also under Hugh and I, but that was because Hugh Lloyd was the other person in this skit...............

There is a tiny observation that I noticed many years ago that I don't know if other oldies on the forum have ever picked up on, and that is when Hancock gets out his packet of wine gums, passing them to Hugh Lloyd.........................

TH Do you like wine gums?

HL Oh, thank you very much

TH Don't take the black one

HL Mind you, they do a tube with all black ones now you know

TH I know but you cannot always get 'em

And that was so true. The black one was generally most people's favourite but there was usually only two/three of each flavour in a tube, and so it came to pass that Rowntree's brought out a tube with all black ones, BUT for some reason they were difficult to obtain - I remember this clearly and so Galton & Simpson picked up on this and included it in the Blood Donor.

Minor point but always makes me smile.

Just a minor point. Who is HH? I'm guessing it's Hancock but surely that should be AH or TH.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd April 2015, 5:09 PM BST

Just a minor point. Who is HH? I'm guessing it's Hancock but surely that should be AH or TH.

>_< Yers, thanks Chappers - I was very tired when I wrote that..........and I am old you know. ;)

I read recently that when Hancock died Willie Rushton was asked to bring back his ashes from Australia. Walking through the "Nothing to Declare" channel he was asked by a customs official what was in the bag he replied straight faced "Tony Hancock" producing a cheap plastic urn.

Yeah they offered to put it into first class I think...?

Stone me!

Just wading through the next batch of ephemera to go onto eBay and came across a first edition of the "Today" newspaper from 1986 - "revolutionary" newspaper that split Fleet Street asunder when it settled in Wapping and not only broke the stranglehold the print unions held, but also was the first to use computer technology and to print with colour.

Eddie Shah, the founder, became a national hero to free enterprise, and the world of the newspapers and how they were run was changed forever.

BUT I've wandered off what I meant to do, and that is to post this article from that newspaper, written by the late Derek "Do they mean us?" Jameson - anyone remember him?

Thought it might be of interest........................

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th May 2019, 10:18 AM

Just wading through the next batch of ephemera to go onto eBay and came across a first edition of the "Today" newspaper from 1986 - "revolutionary" newspaper that split Fleet Street asunder when it settled in Wapping and not only broke the stranglehold the print unions held, but also was the first to use computer technology and to print with colour.

Eddie Shah, the founder, became a national hero to free enterprise, and the world of the newspapers and how they were run was changed forever.

BUT I've wandered off what I meant to do, and that is to post this article from that newspaper, written by the late Derek "Do they mean us?" Jameson - anyone remember him?

Thought it might be of interest........................

Yes, I remember him! Very distinctive voice. Great article. My most memorable scenes, outside of the Hancock episodes, are the ones he played with Irene Handl in the Rebel. Her as Mrs Crevatte and him as Anthony, the 'artist'. Mostly because I loved the natural way she played her characters...in the same way Gracie Fields played hers. Corr, now we're goin' back!

A little off topic...listening to The Choking Horror on Sonos this very minute...and, what d'ya know, the legendary Mr Grytpype Thynne has just announced himself! Spooky. (Goons)

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 5th May 2019, 11:02 AM

Yes, I remember him! Very distinctive voice. Great article. My most memorable scenes, outside of the Hancock episodes, are the ones he played with Irene Handl in the Rebel. Her as Mrs Crevatte and him as Anthony, the 'artist'. Mostly because I loved the natural way she played her characters...in the same way Gracie Fields played hers. Corr, now we're goin' back!

A little off topic...listening to The Choking Horror on Sonos this very minute...and, what d'ya know, the legendary Mr Grytpype Thynne has just announced himself! Spooky. (Goons)

Irene Handl can do no wrong in my opinion. She has played many a bit part in post war B&W British films and ALWAYS brings a smile to your face. The series she did with Wilfred Pickles "For the Love of Ada" is in my to watch list of DVDs on the shelf, which my wife is also looking forward to as she adores Irene.
We often quote her from the PG Tips ad. with Mr Shifter - "Cooeeee, cooeee Mr Shifter, light refreshments" LOVE IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yok1j-OPlAU

Just coming back to The Rebel - much as I like Irene of course, I never understood fully why Patricia Hayes didn't play that part of Mrs Cravat as she did in all the HHH - odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnLyqBtU_F8

Now you've got me started! Ah, yes HGT and his sidekick, the grovelling Count Jim "Knees" Moriarty - what a duo from Peter and Spike, only rivalled in laughter miles by Henry Crun and Minnie Bannister. Oh, and Eccles and Bluebottle, and Mr Banerjee and Mr Lalkaka and ............................................

Another outing for The Punch and Judy Man on TPTV this Friday (5 March) 12.55pm and for Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines on Sony Classic Sunday 7.20pm.

And on Thursday 11 March the drama Hancock (previously broadcast in 1991) with Alfred Molina playing the lad himself at 9pm on BBC4 followed at 10.55 by Mark Lawson talking to Ray Galton & Alan Simpson (previously broadcast in 2008).