Hancock Page 8

I am a big fan of this show. I'm 31 and have been watching it for a few years, mainly because of Sid James, I just wish that all the episodes were available. My favourite episodes are The Economy Drive, The Cold, and The Two Murderers.

Quote: Marissa @ 12th March 2014, 12:43 AM GMT

Ha! Well, she's the only person prepared to listen to tenuous name dropping like me being at college with Nick Webb. He played the boy in the ice cream parlour in The Punch and Judy Man. His band had some success in America then he died far too young. Was weird when his aunt Sylvia Syms turned up to watch us play, with Brian Murphy (George and Mildred).

Wow! That is interesting, as I often wonder what ever happened to various child actors when they "growed" up. That was a good scene from the film (Eddie Byrne was the ice cream parlour attendant) - man befriends small boy, end of, nothing else to be read into it.

From Wiki:- Nicholas "Nick" Webb was an English acoustic guitarist, composer, and co-founder of contemporary jazz group Acoustic Alchemy. Webb was the brother of Alex Webb (musician), the nephew of actress Sylvia Syms and appeared as a child in The Punch and Judy Man, British comedian Tony Hancock's second starring vehicle, in which Syms played his wife.

Quote: Marissa @ 12th March 2014, 12:43 AM GMT

Ha!

Not sure how the Benny from Crossroads guy would have got over the memories of that role to play Hancock. I heard Richard Briers doing Hancock on the radio and that didn't feel right, maybe because Briers' persona was that of a decent guy, on and off stage? It was like Tom Hanks trying to play a gangster

Alfred Molina made a half decent stab at TH, which I enjoyed although the critics didn't like it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0207504/

There was also another actor who did a TV one off on Hancock's last night when he was in Australia, and I thought I had it on DVD but nope; AND annoyingly I can find no reference to it (It is not Pip Utton or Ian Barton or Fraser Haines that I have found on'tinternet) He has had various bit parts on TV and the last time I saw him was in a TV ad. for conservatories, where the man couldn't make up his mind where to have his favourite chair (My God, that's interesting!)

Anyway, he was very good at playing TH, and that is probably because he did/does look very much like him - I think he may also have taken it on stage in London at some time.

Interesting news that they're recording 5 of the missing shows with assumptions as to whom they're playing mine . . .
Simon Greenall (Bill Kerr)
Kevin Eldon (Sid James)
Robin Sebastian (Kenneth Williams)
Kevin McNally (Hancock)
. . . no female cast members announced I notice . . .

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th March 2014, 6:44 PM GMT

4 years since this thread was visited :( so:-

The Blood Donor

Hancock decides to give a pint of blood. So, many great lines in this...

I remember seeing an interview with Galton and Simpson about one line in this episode, and it shows how their dedication to the craft of comedy took it from average comedy via good comedy to great comedy.

Originally the famous line was "that's an armful".

Then after more thinking it became "that's nearly an armful".

Then finally it became "that's very nearly an armful".

Average script writers may have left it as "that's an armful".

Good script writers may have changed it to "that's nearly an armful".

Only great scriptwriters would have made it "that's very nearly an armful".

The addition of "very nearly" makes all the difference.

Quote: Guilbert @ 14th March 2014, 2:36 PM GMT

I remember seeing an interview with Galton and Simpson about one line in this episode, and it shows how their dedication to the craft of comedy took it from average comedy via good comedy to great comedy.

Originally the famous line was "that's an armful".

Then after more thinking it became "that's nearly an armful".

Then finally it became "that's very nearly an armful".

Average script writers may have left it as "that's an armful".

Good script writers may have changed it to "that's nearly an armful".

Only great scriptwriters would have made it "that's very nearly an armful".

The addition of "very nearly" makes all the difference.

Just the one, they'll trot that out at the drop of a hat . . .

Anyone catch the release of Citizen James a couple of years ago?
First series was a gift from Galton & Simpson to Sid for getting the sh*ft from Hancock, including bringing back Bill as the sidekick.
Unfortunately they only wrote the first series as they were too busy with something called Steptoe & Son . . .

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 14th March 2014, 10:17 AM GMT

Interesting news that they're recording 5 of the missing shows with assumptions as to whom they're playing mine . . .
Simon Greenall (Bill Kerr)
Kevin Eldon (Sid James)
Robin Sebastian (Kenneth Williams)
Kevin McNally (Hancock)
. . . no female cast members announced I notice . . .

Only heard of one of the cast. I'll have to Google search. However, there was a subtle genius with the original cast that will never be recreated!

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 15th March 2014, 8:08 AM GMT

Only heard of one of the cast. I'll have to Google search. However, there was a subtle genius with the original cast that will never be recreated!

Simon Greenall . . . Michael from Alan Partridge
Kevin Eldon . . . just loads, can't actually think of a single famous role though . . .
Robin Sebastian . . . well, has played Kenneth Williams
Kevin McNally . . . loads again, familiar face, but can't think of a big one . . .

I am of the same opinion as you and don't think they can recapture that ensemble . . .

I hope the scripts aren't updated and are as they were (and also wonder if any of them will have Kevin McNally as Harry Secombe . . . thrrrrrp!).

The Paul Merton restaging didn't really work, but then Paul isn't much of an actor (was Hancock?) and they were rewritten for the modern day.

An artist friend of mine staged a recreation of Hancock's painting from The Rebel a few years ago. Check it out. http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/wordpress/2008/06/14/the-hancock-project/

Quote: beaky @ 15th March 2014, 11:00 AM GMT

An artist friend of mine staged a recreation of Hancock's painting from The Rebel a few years ago. Check it out. http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/wordpress/2008/06/14/the-hancock-project/

I like it! :)

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 15th March 2014, 8:08 AM GMT

However, there was a subtle genius with the original cast that will never be recreated!

Yes! :)

Thanks Mr G T.

That art does look intriguing.

Had the Hancock board game as a kid. Don't know where it would rank in the pantheon of sitcom board game tie ins, whether you won by abandoning your mates or aspiring to be Samuel Becket or whoever. Can't make out what the rules were from this box and board pics. Would love to know.

Sad enough for Sunday?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/32932/hancocks-half-hour http://boardgamegeek.com/image/486759/hancocks-half-hour?size=large

Didn't think much of the Hollywood remake. Will Smith was totally miscast.