Hancock Page 7

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 6 2010, 1:12 PM GMT

Justed watched the first episode of 'Hancock' (Hancock without Sid James). Watched the episode 'The Bedsitter' Nice to see the book 'Lady Don't Fall Backwards' get a mention, the book of which the last page was missing in one of the best (if not the best) 'Hancock's Half Hour' episode 'The Missing Page'

I know I made that reference earlier in the thread. :) Difference is in The Missing Page the writer's name was Darcy Sarto and in The Bedsitter the author is Darcy Clinto. 'Lady Don't Fall Backwards' was also name of book by John Le Mesurier's widow Joan in which she wrote about her relationship with Hancock.

http://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/2010/04/02/crossroads-star-to-play-hancock/

I remain to be convinced.

That said, I will be going.

Er, interesting casting choice, um... Errr

Blimey. Look at the piano keys on that.

Teethist!

Well it could be good...

Not Hancock I know but any ideas what the 'star studded' lineup might be?

http://www.alexandratheatre.org.uk/prod-productions_details.asp?VenueID=87&pid=2115

Why a star line ups always 'studded' ?

Or in this case 'tar studded' ! :D

No idea - and I think there's already a Dad's Army stage show thread for that, thanks.

4 years since this thread was visited :( so:-

My favourite radio shows:-

Sunday Afternoon at Home

If you want to know what the late 1950s in Britain was like on a Sunday afternoon, then this will give you a flavour of it. Showing my age now, but it brings back many memories for me and so I love it.

Cyrano De Hancock

Sid falls in love with Hancock's "secretary" Grizelda Pugh and goes to Hancock for advice, and Hancock can't contain himself when Sid pours his heart out to him - a bit that never fails to have me laughing out loud.

Almost A Gentleman

Hancock once again is missed out for an OBE, which Bill Kerr reckons he has got - Hancock "You?? OBE - Bill, you were ordered out of the British Empire".
Hancock decides he needs a bit of polishing up to get him into society and so goes to Sid's agency (Debs brought out). Knocks on door - Sid "Hit with yer boot it ain't locked" Hancock "Hit it with yer boot? Hit it with yer shoe it ain't locked - Gentlemen don't wear boots.......at least not those with the tabs hanging out the back"
And at the society ball that Sid has wangled for Hancock to attend - Hattie Jacques as the posh host, when the music starts up "Oh, can you do Sir Roger de Coverley?" Hancock "Why, has he upset you? I'll have him outside if he has"

The Last of the McHancocks

Hancock is left an inheritance in Scotland and goes to claim it, but Seamus McNasty (James Robertson Justice) has other ideas, especially when he thought he had got rid of the last of the McHancocks, and Sid sees and opportunity to part Hancock from his money etc. when he turns up as Bonnie Prince Sidney.

The Poetry Society

Hancock joins a new avante-garde group at the local coffee house. But when he holds an abstract poetry reading evening at 23 Railway Cuttings, Bill and Sid become the new "discoveries", much to the dismay of Hancock of course.
Here's Sid's offering that takes the group by storm:
'Limbo.' by Sidney.
Mauve world, green me,
Black him, purple her,
Yellow us, pink you...
Lead pipes, fortune made,
Six-to-four, come in second,
Green country, blue Haringey,
And White City.
Hick. Hack. Hock.

The Childhood Sweetheart

Hancock remembers that he had a tryst to meet his childhood sweetheart Olive and goes to see if she will turn up, even after 25 years! MUCH has changed...............

The Gourmet

Sid measures Hancock's cake-hole and decides he is on a cert for Hancock to win the "gourmet" event of an eating competition where money is on offer, of course.

My favourite TV shows with half of the old radio crew:-

The Economy Drive

Hancock and Sid return from holiday to discover that Sid has failed to cancel any deliveries and has left every electrical appliance in the house on! The washing machine is still whirring away with just two shirt buttons clinking in the drum............

Twelve Angry Men

Sid joins the jury when he discovers how much money can be made, but Hancock is the foreman - as mentioned elsewhere, I won't spoil the Magna Carta joke when Hancock gives his closing speech.

The Missing Page

Hancock discovers that the last page in a murder mystery is a Charles Atlas advert because someone has torn out the page where the detective reveals who the murderer is. Hancock needs to know who it was!! And so tries to track down the author.

The Reunion Party

Hancock decides to hold a reunion with his wartime pals, but they have all changed. Rare appearance of Cardew "The Cad" Robinson also Clive Dunn. The drinks order he puts in at the local off licence is way over the top.

Favourite TV shows when Hancock was without Sid:-

The Bedsitter (a.k.a. Hancock Alone)

Leaving 23, Railway Cuttings, East Cheam - Hancock is alone in an Earl's Court bed-sit. Great solo effort.

The Radio Ham

Hancock has bought himself a radio transmitter / receiver "Friends all over the world! None in this country but......". Discussing the weather with a man in Japan "It is ah, not raining here also" But when Hancock receives a 'Mayday' call he has to contend with the landlady's husband., and trying to find a shilling for the electric meter.

The Lift

Hancock is the ninth passenger in a lift design to take 8. When the lift sticks he tries to raise every-body's spirits but manages to annoy all of the other passengers. Great exchanges between him and Hugh Lloyd.

The Blood Donor

Hancock decides to give a pint of blood. So, many great lines in this and I especially like his banter with the nurse (June Whitfield), and his discussing how much he has given to charity compared to another blood donor played by Frank Thornton.

My Favourite Film:-

The Punch and Judy Man

With John Le Mes (my what a tangled web of a love life he, Hattie Jacques, his second wife Joan Malin and Hancock had!!) and a regular comedy extra I always had a soft spot for - Mario Fabrizi, this for me is a gentle English comedy that again evokes childhood memories of the seaside.

"Oh, can you do Sir Roger de Coverley?" Hancock "Why, has he upset you? I'll have him outside if he has"

One of my favourite lines in Hancock!

Can't disagree with any of your choices but would maybe add The East Cheam Drama Festival and The Publicity Photograph.

I still have to check out the films...really love the series.

I like Hancock but my dear wife, no fan of what she sees as self-pitying comedy, has just referred to him as a 'dough-faced wanker'.

One of my favourite radio shows is Anna and the King of Siam

BBC 'The film of The King and I inspires the lad's own rather unmusical and argumentative version'.

It has an especially ludicrous 'any old iron' type song about the King's bald bonce. Nice to hear him being daft.

Quote: Marissa @ 11th March 2014, 11:52 PM GMT

I like Hancock but my dear wife, no fan of what she sees as self-pitying comedy, has just referred to him as a 'dough-faced wanker'.

That is unquestionably grounds for divorce.

I suggest you consult a solicitor at the earliest opportunity.

Ha! Well, she's the only person prepared to listen to tenuous name dropping like me being at college with Nick Webb. He played the boy in the ice cream parlour in The Punch and Judy Man. His band had some success in America then he died far too young. Was weird when his aunt Sylvia Syms turned up to watch us play, with Brian Murphy (George and Mildred).

Not sure how the Benny from Crossroads guy would have got over the memories of that role to play Hancock. I heard Richard Briers doing Hancock on the radio and that didn't feel right, maybe because Briers' persona was that of a decent guy, on and off stage? It was like Tom Hanks trying to play a gangster

Quote: Oldrocker @ 11th March 2014, 9:36 PM GMT

"Oh, can you do Sir Roger de Coverley?" Hancock "Why, has he upset you? I'll have him outside if he has"

One of my favourite lines in Hancock!

Can't disagree with any of your choices but would maybe add The East Cheam Drama Festival and The Publicity Photograph.

Thank you! :) I have to confess that I do tend to listen to my same old faves over and over again (never tire of them), but will dig out your recommendations and have a re-listen. Have about 50 on cassette.

And yup, the Sir Roger de Coverley quip never fails to raise a laugh. Laughing out loud

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 11th March 2014, 9:40 PM GMT

I still have to check out the films...really love the series.

Much prefer this one to "The Rebel", which they tried too hard to break into the American market with and failed miserably. There was a nod to HHH by having Mrs Cravatte as his landlady (Irene Handl in this film), but it didn't work for me, much preferring "The Punch and Judy Man", filmed in B&W which made it more in keeping with the period it was set in.