Hancock Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ November 27, 2007, 9:33 PM

do you know if you were watching repeats, or from a video of some form?

I think it was repeats. I suppose it could have been a video though.

When I've seen clips since, I'm always surprised by how modern his cynicism feels. He is ace, and I should start watching it again.

Quote: Goldielocks @ November 27, 2007, 10:13 PM

jesus ...just reread my post ..anyone tell i've a glass or two... i'm heading over the to drunk thread

I only saw the bowmans on TV (did they do a radio one?). ah my love me old beautie (misquote that is annoying me because i cannot remember it - help me out -is ah my old pal me old beautie)

I do rememeber the mangleweasles though

Not sure if they did the Bowmans on the radio show.

The quote is "Dan me old pal me old beauty" etc & the song is about Mangle wurzels I think

Kind regards...now I can sleep.

Badge - completely agree..its a catchphrase in our family we use to dispell tension if an argument gets a little too heated ..always works.

I remember watching Hancock on TV as a kid and teenager. Always loved his stuff. Sometimes when I write I picture Him (not God, Hancock!) saying the lines (not that I suppose he ever would have read mine!)

Don't forget the power of the writers with Hancock as I reckon he was a consumate performer that worked better when he had great writers producing the script. Which he did have, of course, for his classic stuff.

I am not a Comedy Geek (thank Him, God this time) so I can't quote episodes, lines, colour of the tie he wore in "The Blood Donor" etc. (it was grey ;)) but Hancock was one of the greats IMHO.

I also thought he carried it off well in the movies too, my fav being The Punch & Judy Man. But I love the one he did as an artist too (whatever it was called!) The Artist? Dunno, geeks will know! ;)

Brilliant. The first classic British sitcom. I think had this not been made, we wouldn't have had many of the classic sitcoms we know today, like Dads Army and Steptoe. In fact, without Hancock, the question I ask is would we have sitcom today? What do you think?

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 28, 2007, 12:16 PM

I remember watching Hancock on TV as a kid and teenager. Always loved his stuff. Sometimes when I write I picture Him (not God, Hancock!) saying the lines (not that I suppose he ever would have read mine!)

Don't forget the power of the writers with Hancock as I reckon he was a consumate performer that worked better when he had great writers producing the script. Which he did have, of course, for his classic stuff.

I am not a Comedy Geek (thank Him, God this time) so I can't quote episodes, lines, colour of the tie he wore in "The Blood Donor" etc. (it was grey ;)) but Hancock was one of the greats IMHO.

I also thought he carried it off well in the movies too, my fav being The Punch & Judy Man. But I love the one he did as an artist too (whatever it was called!) The Artist? Dunno, geeks will know! ;)

hi Frankie it was called The Rebel

Your local Hancock geek

I wa brought up on Hancock as my dad liked him and we had a record which had the Test Pilot (was it called that?) and possibly the blood donor on the other side. (but maybe not)

The only other one I really remember was the Bowmans though.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 28, 2007, 12:16 PM

I can't quote ... colour of the tie he wore in "The Blood Donor" etc. (it was grey ;))

Laughing out loud

And yes, as mentioned, the 'artist' one is called The Rebel. If you're so interested, there's a double-feature DVD of The Rebel and The Punch and Judy Man available, and really pretty cheaply last time I looked. :)

Quote: Aaron @ November 28, 2007, 5:53 PM

Laughing out loud

And yes, as mentioned, the 'artist' one is called The Rebel. If you're so interested, there's a double-feature DVD of The Rebel and The Punch and Judy Man available, and really pretty cheaply last time I looked. :)

That sounds like the Christmas Present I ought to buy myself!

Cheers Mr Interlocketer! :)

Hmm, it would appear that they've re-named and re-released the set. So to avoid paying £30+ for the old one, here's the new edition:

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1111930/The-Tony-Hancock-Collection-Punch-And-Judy-Man-The-Rebel/Product.html]

Thanks Aaron!

It's outstanding value at under a tenner for two classic films!

Fx :)

Quote: Aaron @ November 28, 2007, 5:53 PM

Laughing out loud

Can't believe I forgot about the two films. Both absolute gems. :D

Far too young to even know about Hancock the first time around (only 25 you know!!) but my love of sitcoms has taken me to buying the DVD's. I've also got a book which goes into detail about the writing and producing of Hancocks Half Hour and Hancock, superbly written. It details how Galton and Simpson got together, how they met up with Tony Hancock and how the series came about as a whole.

One of my favourite episodes (forgive me cause I am at work, and don't have the titles of the shows to hand) is the the beginning of I think the 6th series when it became just Hancock after Sid James left. It's the episode where he's in the flat on his own, for a full half hour show. No-one to bounce lines off, nothing, just him, and his lines. It's comedy writing, acting, timing and delivery at it's absolute zenith.

Pure genius

Ive got some of the DVDs, absolutely great; and what a wonderful central character. I also found a collection of scripts at my local oxfam a while back, complete with really good illustrations, which is a fantastic read.

Go to DVD.Co.UK and they don't charge postage.

http://www.dvd.co.uk/searchavail.asp