Stand-up Comedy DVDs: Shite or complete shite? Page 2

I must admit as a kid I liked big break cause he wasnt a complete cock then.

Quote: paul watson @ November 16, 2007, 9:15 PM

I must admit as a kid I liked big break cause he wasnt a complete cock then.

Well he was but ITV wanted to market him as a family entertainer, that's why he was given the Generation Game gig. But no matter how many Saturday Night Family TV shows you give a man, once an arsehole always an arsehole. :D

Jim D was never one of the greats IMO but he had a lot of potential as a young comic. He definitely had talent but he was never Premiership material IMO.

His wife beating is a matter for him, his wife, the police and the courts. I guess his homophobia and racism (if he displays any of that ;)) may also be a matter for the courts in due course!

Quote: Martin Holmes @ November 16, 2007, 11:37 PM

Well he was but ITV BBC wanted to market him as a family entertainer, that's why he was given the Generation Game gig. But no matter how many Saturday Night Family TV shows you give a man, once an arsehole always an arsehole. :D

My main complaint wasn't so much with comedy Digitial Versatile Discs, but with the crummy Christmas cash ins clogging up the shops and airwaves. There are great stand up routines to be brought on DVD, but the ones being released now to exploit the Christmas market are just dreck.

I hope Paddy McGuinness's "All Star Balls Up" is as good as the Gregg's advertisements.

Well, sorry to state the obvious here, but if its someone good performing stand up, then its worth getting, if its someone shit, then its not worth buying. There, settled.

The only stand-up I've ever thought worth watching over was Robin Williams Live at the Met. Funny then and still funny now. Have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N1Hz2_gdh4

I went to see Ross Noble recently and I thought he was BRILLIANT, but there is no way it would be as funny on DVD. He's totally random and picks up on things, and people in the crowd. It's completely a "you HAVE to be there" kind of experience to appreciate it.

Ditto Bill Bailey. And quite possibly Reginald D Hunter.

Did you know Bill Bailey is going to be in Skins?
As the cute gay boy character's dad.

I literally cannot wait.

Bill Bailey is on that Dawn French thing: YAY! \o/

Oooh, I'd forgotten about that. Thankies. :)

Quote: EllieJP @ November 20, 2007, 4:07 PM

I went to see Ross Noble recently and I thought he was BRILLIANT, but there is no way it would be as funny on DVD. He's totally random and picks up on things, and people in the crowd. It's completely a "you HAVE to be there" kind of experience to appreciate it.

Definitely agree with that, I'm not a huge Noble fan but I went to see him in York a couple of years ago and being there live is really great because most of the show is interaction with the audience and riffing ideas off certain audience members. On DVD you don't get quite the same feel.

Quote: ajp29 @ November 16, 2007, 11:48 AM

Paddy McGuiness isn't funny like most 'northern' comedians

McGuiness is Northern though, so I wouldn't put the inverted commas around that, but if you were put them around "Comedian" that'd ding dang do for me!