Internet

I know of some interesting comedy that you can find on the internet. Most of them are webcomics, which are online comic strips. One of the best things about them is that you can access the online archives for free, so you can read the comic right from the beginning to the present day to get used to it.

Below is a list of my personnal favourites. Most of these you can find on the website keenspot.com

* Newshounds - An American satrical comic. Set in KPET, an American news company owned by Lorna Dilbrook and staffed by her pet animals. There's anchordogs Wolfram Blitzen, who is incredibly vain and Renata Fayre, a good journalist but somewhat too ambitious, right-wing sports reporter Sam Shepherd, left-wing feline weatherman and liberal commentator Alistair Katt, danger-addicted field reporter Rochelle O'Shea, downtrodden cameraman Kevin J. Dog, and pop-culture mad janitor Ferris the Rat. Updated Monday, Wednesday and Friday. See newshounds.com

* Poisoned Minds aka SSDD - A British sci-fi comic. In Littlehampton, Essex, lives violent anarchist rabbit Norman Gates, who's flatmates cope with his love of destruction. Little do they know that Norman will in the future set up an anarchist state that plans to take over the world. That's why some animals from 200 years in the future, lead by French-Canadian raccoon Dr. Jeremiah Cook, have travelled back in time to stop him before he starts. Updated Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. For adults only. See poisonedminds.com

* Antihero For Hire - An American comic which is a parody of superhero comics such as Batman. 2144, Triumph City, USA. Shadehawk is a hero that you can hire to get rid of your local super-villian, always assisted by his sidekick and the world's best hacker, Wrench. However, considering the stupidity of the villians Shadehawk has to put up with, his job is not as hard as it looks. Currently on hold. See antiheroforhire.com

* Funny Farm - An American comic, about the lives of the animal residents of boarding house, including owners Ront, a hard working dog and Mewn, a lazy cat only interested in comics who inherited the house from his grandfather. Other residents include cynical business bird Gulius, kind and naïve pig Flink, cooking and fitness mad sheep Boe, and duck Mileena, who came to the house to hide a terrible secret. The residents find themselves stuck in all sorts of bizarre situations, from shady business dealings, to Ront's own computer, PC, invading Denmark. New comic published every day. See funnyfarmcomics.com

* Exterminatus Now A British sci-fi comic, inspired by Sonic the Hedgehog. Set on Mobius, it follows the lives of Harold Eastwood, a fox with a coffee addiction, and Syrus “The Virus” Zuviel, a rat who seems too lazy, cowardly or stupid to do his job of ridding the planet of deamons, along with their friends Lothar Hex, an echidna cyborg who is wanted for crimes across the world but due to his job cannot be arrested, and Ryoushi “Rogue” Nekittou, a rather cocky cat. Updated every Friday. See exterminatusnow.comicgenesis.com

* No Pink Ponies An American comic set in a comic book store. "Chix Comix" was set up by Jess, who started the business for several reasons, including her own lover of comic books, but also to hire a man she finds attractive that she spotted working in another shop. Also features a special strip, "Tigrine", a parody of "Wolverine". Updated every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. See nopinkponies.com/

* Kevin and Kell An American comic, and reputed to be the first to start online. Set in a world of animals, rabbit Kevin and fox Kell try to cope with being a mixed raced couple (a herbivore and a carnivore) as well as looking after their children Lindesfarne (an English hedgehog adopted from Kevin's first marriage) Rudy (a wolf from Kell's first marriage) and Coney (a carnivorus rabbit, and Kevin and Kell's own offspring). Most storylines circle around Kell's trials at work and Kevin's own internet businesses. Being considered for an animated television series. Updated every day. See kevinandkell.com

Are any of these still going?

Kevin and Kell and Exterminatus Now are still going, I don't know about the others, but the original post is about seven years old. I must have been one of my very first posts here, back when this website was the BSG.

This has got me thinking just how we take it all for granted these days.

For years and years my Father when he was alive would be puzzled by the phrase "Mike and Ike, they look alike" that he had in his head and could not remember where it came from.

We looked it up it reference books but to no avail and he and I wondered if he had simply made it up as a child and it stuck in his memory.

And last night this phrase came to me, so I Googled it - Hey Presto, an instant answer:-

The wonder of 'tinternet. Just a shame we didn't have it when he was alive, but maybe he is looking down on me and smiling that at last we have found the answer. :)

He must have read the comic at some point in his childhood.

I wonder if the phrase is related to these candies? They're fairly popular at cinemas and candy stores.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_and_Ike

Umm, doubt it as I see they were introduced in 1940 when my Father would have been 30 and would have remembered that I would have thought. They probably took the name from the 1920/30s comic which is the more likely source I think as a childhood memory of my Dad's.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 24th July 2013, 12:53 AM BST

Are any of these still going?

Re-invigorsting a nine-year-old thread. Good work, Mr Sunshine.

I will check out the sites though :)

Jamie Smart's comic stuff on Fumboo.co.uk is pretty good - I really like the humour and doodles myself.