Favourite Sketch Show

Ok, we've had the favourite sketches thread, so here's the favourite sketch show.

What is your favourite sketch show, and why?

No bickering or arguing please - just answers!

(And I'm not quite sure myself. Going to have to think about it a bit.)

monkey dust series 2 - pretty much everything is amazing

never saw that but the first series of Big Train was pretty darn good

Don't watch a lot of sketch shows, they always seem to be pretty hit and miss in my view. Haven't tuned into one week in week out since Not The Nine O'Clock News. O dear.

Have a few favourites:

BIG TRAIN, especially the first series, is pure genius.

THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN-the first two series at least were more or less sketch shows.

PETER COOK-not only but also, goodbye again, cook and co., behind the fridge, beyond the fringe-cook is the best.

A BIT OF FRY AND LAURIE-four great series, though they seem to be somewhat overlooked.

VIC AND BOB-all their stuff is fantastic.

THE DAY TODAY and BRASS EYE-these count dont they? Chris Morris is unbeatable!

Oh, and JAM.

Sketch shows are really hit and miss. Even Monty Python had plenty of forgettable material.

The second series of the Fast Show was pretty good. Series 1 and 3 didn't quite hit the mark though. Glad someone else on here likes Monkey Dust - very underrated series.

smack the pony

In alphabetical order...

Bang! Bang! It's Reeves & Mortimer
Big Train
The Kids in the Hall
Little Britain
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Mr. Show
SCTV

Ooh, yeah; forgot the kids in the hall! I used to love that when it was shown on TV, though I must have been about twelve or something at the time. I havent seen it since, I dont think the DVDs are out in Britain, but I did really like it when I was younger and would love to take a look at it today. I remember most clearly the squashing your head bloke, some one who I think had a demon in their cupboard, and a sort of chicken woman thing. It was an odd show!

Of the modern day, it has to be "The Fast Show"

Definitely The Fast Show, series 2.

Quote: chipolata @ December 15, 2006, 10:41 AM

Definitely The Fast Show, series 2.

Agreed. It hit its peak then. Series 1 saw it getting into its stride. Series 3 saw it looking tired and repetitive.

My worry is that I haven't seen it for a long time. Some sketch shows don't age well and I fear this may do the same. Also, it was on at a very happy time in my life, so my judgment may be clouded by nostalgia.

Lee & Herring's Fist Of Fun (does that count as a sketch show, I think it does,..they still do sketches although they have 'talking bits' in between)

Harry Enfields Television Programme

The Fast Show

The fast show has to be up there without a doubt. I have also always liked early Harry Enfield shows.
I mean whats not to like about Wayne & Waynetta & Kevin & Perry

Fav sketch's of all time.

"The dead parrot" in Monty Python
&
"Bad Feet" in Porridge"
Ooops i did not put porridge down in my all time fav's
Dunno if those count as sketch shows but hey.

Victoria Wood As Seen on TV.

Even though I was only ten when it aired, I loved it and still to this day I laugh out loud.
Victoria has a superb ear for dialogue and the rhythm of syntax.