Channel 4 scheduling

I have to say that I hope that the recent terrible viewing figures that Channel 4 has had on Friday nights serves as a wake up call to them. They seem to be under the impression that comedy shows can only be broadcast on Fridays and so have been hammered.

I can't understand why they put 8 Out of 10 Cats up against Q.I. The latter show may be slightly more highbrow but they are both clearly going to be taking viewers from each other.

Scheduling Blunder opposite J Ross is similarly barmy. How can a new sketch show possibly compete with one of the most famous hosts in Britain right now?

I think that there are quite a few decent comedies around at the moment but the fact that many of them are pitted against each other does nothing for the viewers, networks or shows.

IMO, it's only the BBC who are anything close to sane, in regards to both comedy and TV in general. Channel 4 have that insane scheduling, Channel 5 have some good shows on at times, and ITV is better off not mentioned at all.

It is a sorry time for British television.

Blunder would flop if they moved it to BBC1 and showed it after Eastenders. For the simple reason that it is a formulaic, deeply unfunny sketch show that is indistinguishable from all the other formulaic, deeply unfunny sketch shows of recent months.

It wasn't that long ago that Channel 4 ruled Friday evenings, but they got complacent. I've just had a look at this Friday's line up - the only thing worth watching is The Simpsons and I can watch that on DVD.

One of the biggest problems with Friday, and indeed Saturday, nights is that they are seen as the "night out", and so the schedulers and commissioners, on the whole, just don't bother. There tend to be a few programmes relatively early on during the evening, but after that TV becomes a graveyard.

The channels are underestimating the audience and, as Wheeler says, being complacent. If only they would put on something worth watching, they could draw back the families, the 'older' audiences, and crucially, have the children become loyal viewers of their channel. Why do the respective controllers not understand this?!

I miss Noel's House Party and The Generation Game.

Quote: Aaron @ November 30, 2006, 2:56 PM

One of the biggest problems with Friday, and indeed Saturday, nights is that they are seen as the "night out", and so the schedulers and commissioners, on the whole, just don't bother.

That would be forgiveable if the rest of the week brought us some good comedy shows and drama, but the only thing I watched on C4 this week was Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares.

I take your point about their attitude to Friday and Saturday evenings, but it's only during the last few years that Channel 4 have acted like they're not arsed. They used to make the effort, but now they treat Friday evenings as a dumping ground for crap like Blunder and the Russell Brand Show.

Very true. Admittedly the BBC are giving us Thursday night comedy at the moment, but that's it.

You know you're in trouble when one of your 'big hitters' is Charlotte Church, a woman who should not be allowed within 100 miles of a TV studio. She's Welsh and she swears a lot...so it makes sense to give her a TV show in which she drones on about being Welsh, swears a lot and bursts in to song every five minutes. I smell a ratings winner!

Good article on The Guardian's website which sums up C4's problems.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/organgrinder/2006/12/will_you_be_watching_channel_4.html

And now they've just promissed to peddle another x weeks of utter shit into our homes every summer for at least another four years.

F**king hell.

I have to agree that Channel 4's scheduling has been terrible lately, as have been most of the progammes.

I mean, why do the Aussie's get to see Green Wing before us, it's a British sitcom!

I know! Im outraged about Green Wing

Quote: Wheeler @ December 1, 2006, 9:51 AM

That would be forgiveable if the rest of the week brought us some good comedy shows and drama, but the only thing I watched on C4 this week was Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares.

I take your point about their attitude to Friday and Saturday evenings, but it's only during the last few years that Channel 4 have acted like they're not arsed. They used to make the effort, but now they treat Friday evenings as a dumping ground for crap like Blunder and the Russell Brand Show.

I totally agree. What I watch on Channel 4 now is minimal compared to what I used to watch. Not just for sitcoms, but drama and sport too (they used to have the Tour De France, Italian Football and Ashes cricket - a dream for a sports fan like me).

And yes, I hate Russell Brand with a passion. He makes me want to go and buy a gun. Ramsey is good though.

Perhaps I'm just getting old...

I'm not old, and Russel Brand's appeal is lost on me too

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ December 1, 2006, 8:48 PM

I'm not old, and Russel Brand's appeal is lost on me too

;) I'm not that old really...

At least Peep Show and the IT Crowd are back on 4 next year.

ah I only watched IT crowd cos Noel Fielding was in it for a few episdoes as Richmond

Russell Brand is a complete and utter twat. I don't see the appeal. About as funny as Jam & Jerusalem.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ December 1, 2006, 7:49 PM

I know! Im outraged about Green Wing

What's this? I must have missed something.