Blu-ray and the next generation? Page 2

I have a hd televsion,It is Much better then normal picture and if
you watch bbc hd,The programme's are even better.

I was looking at some HD TVs at the weekend, and the picture quality is very impressive. Browsing on a techie forum, I saw someone saying that only programmes recorded in HD, or films, will be noticeably better. So, presumably DVD is quite good enough to be able to capture the quality of VT recorded stuff like most of the BBC's classic comedy.

I also started wondering what might happen with the increased capacity of the new formats. There's going to be loads of space left over once the programmes are stored on the disc, and I can't imagine them filling it with 20Gb of extras.

Quote: Bad dog @ December 3, 2007, 2:54 PM

I also started wondering what might happen with the increased capacity of the new formats. There's going to be loads of space left over once the programmes are stored on the disc, and I can't imagine them filling it with 20Gb of extras.

Not sure they'll be particularly fussed really. As usual with discs and stuff, the price'll come down to about 10p a disc, so there's no need to fill it right up. Or even a bit up!

Dan

I was looking at some HD TVs at the weekend, and the picture quality is very impressive. Browsing on a techie forum, I saw someone saying that only programmes recorded in HD, or films, will be noticeably better. So, presumably DVD is quite good enough to be able to capture the quality of VT recorded stuff like most of the BBC's classic comedy.

Not sure I really follow on the last sentence, but the techie-forum-poster is correct. Further than that, old programmes will look worse, as the better quality screens show up the shortcomings of previous recording media and methods. Think about how a series one Steptoe and Son or HHH looks on a normal TV now.

Personally, unless your TV is actually broken, I'd advise against buying a new HD set at the moment. LCDs are better quality (and will last longer) than plasma screens, but current technology means that contrast can be poor, and fast motion blurry. If you do get one though, just get the cheapest possible.

Quote: Aaron @ December 3, 2007, 6:28 PM

Not sure I really follow on the last sentence, but the techie-forum-poster is correct. Further than that, old programmes will look worse, as the better quality screens show up the shortcomings of previous recording media and methods. Think about how a series one Steptoe and Son or HHH looks on a normal TV now.

Personally, unless your TV is actually broken, I'd advise against buying a new HD set at the moment. LCDs are better quality (and will last longer) than plasma screens, but current technology means that contrast can be poor, and fast motion blurry. If you do get one though, just get the cheapest possible.

All about a CRT projector with a whole wall painted white.

Quote: swerytd @ December 3, 2007, 3:04 PM

Not sure they'll be particularly fussed really. As usual with discs and stuff, the price'll come down to about 10p a disc, so there's no need to fill it right up. Or even a bit up!

Dan

As quality increases more disk space will be needed so a 20GB HDD would easily be filled with a movie and extras soon enough no doubt.

and Swerytd has a point they are going to keep getting cheaper... I think I can buy a second hand laptop now with a 40GB HDD (and extras) for about £50! (off ebay of course).

Quote: paul watson @ December 3, 2007, 6:38 PM

All about a CRT projector with a whole wall painted white.

Laughing out loud

The televsion that i brought cost me a lot of money,But it was worth it.

Quote: Retinend @ November 22, 2007, 5:06 PM

There's a certain satisfaction from owning a case and disc, and having a physical collection of titles

I completely agree, but it's a generational thing. As I understand it, parents of 7-10 year olds are pestered constantly to be allowed to download a song off iTunes. That generation sees no need at all for the tangible product that we crave.

Quote: Bad dog @ November 9, 2007, 11:55 AM

For older films and tv shows, is anything gained by putting them onto these formats? Is it not true that only more recently made stuff will benefit from the increased resolution?

Not sure if upscaling has been properly mentioned in this thread. I bought a LG DVD player recently, and with my LCD TV, it makes my existing DVDs look very good indeed, though clearly not nearly HD quality (think the res is 720, if you care. I could use HDMI to get 1080i, but 720 is just fine thanks)

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying, but doesn't it mean that the multi-DVD box sets we're hoarding now will be single disc?

**Goodness, I'm contracting the Aaron Brown mega-post multi-quote disorder. HELP ME!**

Yes, you'll get a box set of a typical US drama series of 20+ episodes onto a disc or two rather than six, but a film or a 6 ep TV comedy series would probably leave loads of space left on a blu-ray/hd disc.

Aaron, I was trying to say that the resolution of DVD is quite adequate for older, typically BBC studio taped stuff. Putting it onto the next gen of formats isn't going to improve it, and as you say, it might show up any shortcomings.

Quote: Aljado @ December 4, 2007, 9:32 AM

**Goodness, I'm contracting the Aaron Brown mega-post multi-quote disorder. HELP ME!**

Welcome to the dark side. Mwhahahahahaahaa! :D

Quote: Bad dog @ December 4, 2007, 9:59 AM

Aaron, I was trying to say that the resolution of DVD is quite adequate for older, typically BBC studio taped stuff. Putting it onto the next gen of formats isn't going to improve it, and as you say, it might show up any shortcomings.

Ah right, ok, swish. :)

High Definition TV is an expensive swiz, and everything that's wrong with the industry (obsession with delivery over content).

I still insist that I'm waiting for Super High Definition. From what I've heard, it should be mind-boggling.

Anyway, the whole 'high definition' thing is misleading. John Logie Baird's original 1925 broadcasts were known as 'high definition', and I'm certain that they were nothing like modern HD!

I'm happy with my HD 42" Plasma, lovely stuff.

Plasmas have a shorter life-span than LCDs though, and I think may be more expensive?

i think they're a pop band.