Blu-ray and the next generation?

I'm just wondering about various formats, is DVD going to be with us for a long time to come, or is it in danger of going the way of the dodo in a couple of years? And be replaced by something else thus forcing us all to go out and buy tv shows on yet another format?

Eventually, DVD will almost certainly be replaced as the predominant format, but that's not going to happen at any time soon, and it certainly doesn't mean that you can't keep on using your current equipment. Much in the same way that VHS was replaced by DVD really, but with far less impact since DVD is so (relatively) advanced already.

If we're thinking specifically in terms of high definition DVDs, then you really have nothing to worry about. Very few shows even now are made in HD, let alone anything in the past.

Anyway, HD itself is more than 40 years old. What you really need to be thinking of is Super High Definition. ;)

Basically you're in no danger any time soon.

(Tech Guy mode)

HD has been around for a while indeed Aaron, but it was a massive box that may as well have been a super computer from the 60's, so it wasn't commercial.

HD DVD and Blue Ray on the other hand are at war, like VHS and the other one.

As for winning the war, know one is winning at the moment sales are about breaking even, certain titles will swing the sales but generally about the same. Personally I think whichever format gets the Star Wars rights will probably win.

But I wouldn’t worry, a lot of HD DVD and Blue Ray combo players are coming out, so you can buy any format you want!

For older films and tv shows, is anything gained by putting them onto these formats? Is it not true that only more recently made stuff will benefit from the increased resolution? I'm not sure, but I'd like to find out if this might be the case.

I think some films from the 70's - onwards, were made in a higher-resolution?

Even if they don't improve the quality (which I'm almost certain most of em will) The advantage I can see is no more multi disc boxsets, but I'm guessing most people like the idea of having 5 disc, rather then all content on one disc?

I hadn't thought of that - save a bit of shelf space. Sounds good.

Mmmm Yoda muppety goodness.

http://csel.cs.colorado.edu/~pmjohnso/swhighdef/

Colorado not colourado.....the board wont let me put Colorado in a URL.

Quote: paul watson @ November 9, 2007, 11:39 AM

HD has been around for a while indeed Aaron, but it was a massive box that may as well have been a super computer from the 60's, so it wasn't commercial.

Just like SHD now. They can film it, just haven't worked out how to make the screens yet. :)

HD DVD and Blue Ray on the other hand are at war, like VHS and the other one.

Bloody VHS. Invested all my savings in Betamax!

Personally I think whichever format gets the Star Wars rights will probably win.

My money is on exactly that - price. No matter who releases what, at the end of the day I think whichever is cheapest - or at very least offers the best value - will be the winner.

Quote: Bad dog @ November 9, 2007, 11:55 AM

For older films and tv shows, is anything gained by putting them onto these formats? Is it not true that only more recently made stuff will benefit from the increased resolution? I'm not sure, but I'd like to find out if this might be the case.

It depends how they were made, and in what format the masters now exist. Stuff that was recorded on video is screwed. If it's on film, then it may be possible.

As someone who vastly prefers older sitcoms to newer ones, and very little interest in films at all however, I'm not going to worry about buying things again. Somehow I don't think my new Hancock box set is going to come out in any better quality. :)

(Leevil's right about capacity though.)

I think, like music, the next 'format' is going to be some sort of downloadable digital equivalent so, at worst, you're going to have to 'zip up' your DVDs onto portable hard-drives or the like.

As said above, rather than DVD being replaced, the qualities will get superceded: Standard is being replaced by High-Def which will eventually be replaced by Super-High-Def. As hard drives get bigger and bigger (think someone recently made some super-breakthrough with regards them so you can get a million billion times more data on them now) quality of films will too.

They'll just release better versions of stuff so you have to rebuy rather than different formats! Don't forget, as you get older your eyesight gets worse so the better versions become more pointless!

Dan

That's a good point about HDD-based media. Requires vastly improved Internet connections though.

Quote: swerytd @ November 10, 2007, 10:07 PM

They'll just release better versions of stuff so you have to rebuy rather than different formats! Don't forget, as you get older your eyesight gets worse so the better versions become more pointless!

I doubt the stuff I like and buy would get any better, no matter what format they release it on. Laughing out loud

HDD-Recorders are great, I love mine, very useful. I acquire loads of err "acquirements" and store em on the thing and then watch at my pleasure, without having to scramble about for tapes/DVDs.

I consider my set up to be ultimate; HDD-based PVR, DVD-recorder, a TV stick for my PC, and plenty of useful friends and sources. I'm like a bloody drug dealer, but TV iz my warez, yo? :D

Quote: Aaron @ November 11, 2007, 9:38 AM

I consider my set up to be ultimate; HDD-based PVR, DVD-recorder, a TV stick for my PC, and plenty of useful friends and sources. I'm like a bloody drug dealer, but TV iz my warez, yo? :D

Word Cool

The jump from tape to disc must have been inevitable from the start, but I'm struggling to think of what medium could take over from DVD. I suppose they might become obsolete if all media becomes available through download, but I don't think that people would go for that for some reason. There's a certain satisfaction from owning a case and disc, and having a physical collection of titles. Hopefully DVDs will last until I'm too old to bother re-buying everything.

Quote: Retinend @ November 22, 2007, 5:06 PM

The jump from tape to disc must have been inevitable from the start, but I'm struggling to think of what medium could take over from DVD. I suppose they might become obsolete if all media becomes available through download, but I don't think that people would go for that for some reason. There's a certain satisfaction from owning a case and disc, and having a physical collection of titles. Hopefully DVDs will last until I'm too old to bother re-buying everything.

No doubt everything will soon have a built in hard drives/flash drives to replace disks in the future

Like vinyl, I assume people will keep them for the novelty or even possible increased value.