Fresh Fields Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ November 9, 2007, 9:35 PM

Funny, preferred Home To Roost myself.

Lol! Home to Roost. Another 20.30 winning slot on ITV from the early 80's. And another in the stable of 'dysfunctional member of family goes to live with sane member of family' type sitcom. Always a winner...

Classic Thames production. ;)

Well, my Nan liked it, so its good enough for me! :D

Quote: Aaron @ November 9, 2007, 10:37 PM

Classic Thames production. ;)

Are you referring to "Home To Roost" If you are it was made by Yorkshire Television. What do you think of the theme tune on Duty Free?

Quote: Jack Massey @ November 9, 2007, 11:08 PM

Are you referring to "Home To Roost" If you are it was made by Yorkshire Television.

Oh you know what I mean. I'm tired. Yorkshire. Thames. Their comedy output was as good as interchangeable.

Well, Thames was a lot better actually.

What was I talking about?

Oh yeah, Duty Free theme. I find it depressing actually. Then that really weird up-tempo Spanish stylee bit in the middle.

When I watched Fresh Fields I spent a lot of the time counting how many times they called each other 'darling'.

It's on every week end on pbs and I don't like it. Fresh or French.

It has to be said, it is quite a poor sitcom.

Sadly Anton Rodgers who starred in fresh fields alongside Julia McKenzie died on saturday.

He was 74 or 75, depending on which obituary you read.

Aw :(

Was there a neighbour who kept popping in? I remember she was funny...

I think the wife's mother may have lived in some form of 'granny flat' type thing. Possibly at the opposite end of their garden.

From Wikipedia.

Perhaps the best remembered supporting character was Sonia Barrett (played by Ann Beach) who would frequently pop round to borrow items to replace hers due to breakage, theft or mislaying. Hester was not perturbed by this, as the two were close friends, but it used to irritate William. Sonia had the show's only catchphrase - she would always knock on the back door of the Fields' home and then say It's only Sonia! as she walked in. This would sometimes lead to applause of recognition from the studio audience

That is her name Sonia, how could I forget that? Have they ever shown re-runs of this show?

Granada Plus repeated the series in the 1990s, and I believe early 2000s. I'm not aware of any other channel having done so.

As an aside, the complete Fresh Fields / French Fields box set will be released in October.

See Amazon product listing