DMs Are Open (The New Newsjack)

Just seen this on Twitter, BBC are finally replacing their replacement for Newsjack: 'DMs Are Open'

Hosts are Athena Kugblenu and Ali Official.

They've also taken over Newsjack's Twitter account which is now @DMsAreOpenBBC if you wanted that.

They're doing a Zoom Webinar about it at 6pm on 11th May before the submission window for episode 1 opens the next day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/dms-are-open-radio-4-extra

"Building on the success of Newsjack, DMs Are Open will provide even more opportunities for up and coming writers and performers to break into the industry, for example with a voice notes section of the show hearing directly from the public themselves. The satirical sketch show is loosely topical, reflecting online conversations and trends through a heady cocktail of comedy formats. This broader playing field is designed to attract a wide range of submissions and will reflect pop culture, hot takes and the political and social zeitgeist."

Very interesting. Voice notes section possibly similar to the old Jackapps vox pops on Newsjack. And 'loosely topical' will probably be helpful for some writers who found it hard to get on board with writing for a topical show (though I always argued that Newsjack sketches themselves didn't have to be topical as long as you could come up with a topical joke for the intro that segued nicely into whatever far-flung fancy you wanted for your sketch).

As the two-dicked guy said to the prostitute, Thanks for the heads up.

Just attended the webinar briefing. Very similar to Newsjack submission process, but key differences are:
* No studio audience
* Submissions made via website, rather than email
* A broader scope for the show, to include trending topics as well as news headlines, but ideally anchored in the week's news
* Less interest in dry politics, but an appetite it seems for satire (as opposed to just topical)
* Accept voice-recordings of up to 20 seconds - answerphone type character pieces
* Cast recruited from online sketches/ Twitter etc.. (ie no Luke Kempner)
* Larger cast (5?)

The key similarities are:
* Sketches still require a contextual intro for the hosts to read out
* Sketches of 2-3 minutes
* I will not get a single thing on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/FQY4tc8CD2tpnV1J5vrcRV/submit-your-ideas

I attended too, good little informative session.

Also noticed one Michael Monkhouse pop up in chat too!

That asshole.
Yeah, good chat, but pretty much all on the webpage. Seems a lot nutsier than NJ. As usual, I'll read the guidelines and then write all the same shit I've been writing for the last ten years.

The ratio of gags to sketches is much better than Newsjacks

I enjoyed this. At first it felt strange without the studio audience but by half way through I didn't notice. I've missed the deadlines for submitting this week but will try to sort something next week!

According to their twitter, a former BCG poster is one of the in-house writers for the next episode.

Like Newsjack it's a bit twee with very clunky puns . My sides remained firmly unsplit . However will still attempt to get material on . Sent in a Voice Note but it has the word "tits" in it so very unlikely to get used . Wonder if " willy " is acceptable or is it that too raunchy for R4 Extra ?
What happened to the good old days of " knob" gags ?

I can't remember what it was specifically, but there was something on last week that made me think they might accept some material with a little more bite than Newsjack did, whether language or content. Sure it'll take a while to find its feet.

Let's hope so , Jon.

Quote: JonT @ 25th May 2022, 10:14 PM

I can't remember what it was specifically, but there was something on last week that made me think they might accept some material with a little more bite than Newsjack did, whether language or content. Sure it'll take a while to find its feet.

Yeah I remember feeling it was a bit safe but there was something (which like you I can't remember) that made me think it wasnt all twee and mild.

I think it was a bit gallows humour-y in a sketch?

Episode 2. I'm afraid I just don't get it?

Did someone explain what a DM is?