Cardboard Cavalier (1949)

The disastrous flop that finished Sid Field's short career in films and forced the director Walter Forde to take early retirement, and I can see why.

A starring role for the delicious Margaret Lockwood, who was miscast, and even the small part for Irene Handl couldn't save this mess. Names also appearing that I know of were Peter Bull, Miles Malleson, silly arse Claude Hulbert and a major part for Jerry Desmonde, the nemesis of Norman Wisdom in a couple of his films.

Being really picky, Nell Gwynne would have only been aged about 10 when Oliver Cromwell was in power, and not the sexy wench she was portrayed as. Also, there was too much "Thou" and "Thee" for me, as though we didn't realise it was set in the 17th century. And the set "comedy" pieces were abysmal.

No, but really, what did you think?

Interesting though. Makes me intrigued to watch it all the more! I'd actually missed it was airing recently. Will dig it out some time soon.

If you find it hilarious, you will have gone down in my estimation as a purveyor of comedy. ?

By the way, this has intermittently started up again, and when I reload the page, it posts it twice, so of course I have to go to BCG Edit to delete one of them.
No big deal, but I know you love perfection. ?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th April 2022, 3:29 PM

By the way, this has intermittently started up again, and when I reload the page, it posts it twice, so of course I have to go to BCG Edit to delete one of them.
No big deal, but I know you love perfection. ?

The thing to do, I find, is to press the "go back one page arrow" on your browser (maybe twice) rather than the reload button. And then it appears. Just the once. But, you're right, it is annoying.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th April 2022, 6:30 PM

The thing to do, I find, is to press the "go back one page arrow" on your browser (maybe twice) rather than the reload button. And then it appears. Just the once. But, you're right, it is annoying.

Thanks for the tip - I'll certainly try that next time, and glad to know I'm not alone with the problem

Aaron!

Thanks, we're aware of it and looking into it!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th April 2022, 6:30 PM

It works - Ta ? AND OF COURSE, Sod's Law, it didn't the first time I posted this.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd April 2022, 9:49 AM

the set "comedy" pieces were abysmal.

Yesterday, I read Herc's review and thought, 'That's strange. Surely Sid Field is acknowledged as one of the world's all-time great comedy stars?' I then watched about 10 minutes of the film and found it every bit as bad as Herc says it is. This morning, I woke up and realised the all-time great comedy star I'd been thinking of was Sid Caesar.

I think the history of comedy might not be my 'field'.

Or was it Sid James?