What are the best 10 ITV sitcoms... Page 2

Agreed on Rising Damp, Mr Bean and Only When I Laugh.
I would also say Men Behaving Badly, which had its moments - at least it started on ITV, although went to the BBC from series 3 onwards.

As a side note: For ITV comedy generally, not just sitcoms, then I really liked Baddiel and Skinner Unplanned.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th April 2022, 12:02 AM

Ha! I thought you might have asked me what my replacement would be, and it would have been one of these three.....................

The Larkins
The Army Game
Bootsie & Snudge

So, we are of a mind ?

You know it makes sense. ?

The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs and A Sharp Intake of Breath

(both starring David Jason)

Home To Roost

Quote: A Horseradish @ 19th April 2022, 11:55 AM

The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs and A Sharp Intake of Breath

(both starring David Jason)

I raise you Lucky Feller.

Quote: Aaron @ 19th April 2022, 11:59 AM

I raise you Lucky Feller.

Well, yes, thank you - that's good - and I realise that is the third of the Jason three but I don't like it quite as much.

Briggs is my favourite.

I am going to do 20 rather than ten just to prove the ITV point and I've done eight so far.

I'm happy to have Lucky Feller as one of the two to go of the first ten and the other is - well, I have a soft spot for Wendy Craig in ........And Mother Makes Three/Five.

The two of yours listed which I will have to look up as I just don't recall them are Two in Clover and Pardon The Expression.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 19th April 2022, 12:05 PM

The two of yours listed which I will have to look up as I just don't recall them are Two in Clover and Pardon The Expression.

If you go back to my original post you can click on them and go through to our guides with photos and lots of info. :)

There're also the likes of Barbara, Cowboys, For The Love Of Ada, The Worker, After Henry, Agony, The Fenn Street Gang, various Galton & Simpson series...

Quote: Aaron @ 19th April 2022, 12:09 PM

If you go back to my original post you can click on them and go through to our guides with photos and lots of info. :)

There're also the likes of Barbara, Cowboys, For The Love Of Ada, The Worker, After Henry, Agony, The Fenn Street Gang, various Galton & Simpson series...

Oh........how nice.....thank you.

I would like to know more about the great Galton and Simpson as I only associate them with Hancock and Steptoe. Surprised to see Hancock mentioned in these lists as I had always assumed it was on BBC (as it was with radio).

I know For The Love Of Ada, (ish), After Henry, Agony, and The Fenn Street Gang. May have heard of The Worker. Not sure. But not the others.

My next two are repeats of what people have said - Man About The House and On The Buses.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 19th April 2022, 1:43 PM

I would like to know more about the great Galton and Simpson as I only associate them with Hancock and Steptoe. Surprised to see Hancock mentioned in these lists as I had always assumed it was on BBC (as it was with radio).

The BBC, as I said, are good at blowing their own trumpet and championing their heritage, with ITV left out.

Not all are sitcoms, but for a more rounded idea of the greats you might want to click on titles such as The Galton & Simpson Playhouse, The Galton & Simpson Comedy, The Ronnie Barker Playhouse, Hark At Barker, 6 Dates With Barker, The Tony Hancock Show, Hancock's, Hancock.

Quote: Will Cam @ 18th April 2022, 7:12 PM

Rising Damp
On the Busses
Man about the House
George and Mildred

I would have none of them in my Top 10.

I think mine would be as follows:-

1. Father Ted
2. IT Crowd
3. Whatever happened to the Likely Lads
4. One foot in the Grave
5. Reginald Perrin
6. Not Going Out
7. Green Wing
8. Friday night dinner
9. Porridge
10. Black books

Possibly to be edited.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th April 2022, 7:23 PM

I would have none of them in my Top 10.

I think mine would be as follows:-

1. Father Ted
2. IT Crowd
3. Whatever happened to the Likely Lads
4. One foot in the Grave
5. Reginald Perrin
6. Not Going Out
7. Green Wing
8. Friday night dinner
9. Porridge
10. Black books

Possibly to be edited.

This thread is about ITV sitcoms though! Not a single one you list is eligible. :)

Quote: Aaron @ 19th April 2022, 7:34 PM

This thread is about ITV sitcoms though! Not a single one you list is eligible. :)

I obviously didn't read it properly. I suppose it's because I don't really rate ITV sitcoms against BBC or Channel 4..

I'd add Plebs and Vicious :)

It is a sad indictment of ITV's sitcom output though
Aarons put as good a list you could possibly muster but with the exceptions of Rising Damp and the New Statesman it could well be a list of the worst Sitcoms of all time or at least Sitcoms that that have aged the worst.

Directors Commentary starring Rob Brydon was brilliant and criminally underrated.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 19th April 2022, 8:30 PM

It is a sad indictment of ITV's sitcom output though
Aarons put as good a list you could possibly muster but with the exceptions of Rising Damp and the New Statesman it could well be a list of the worst Sitcoms of all time or at least Sitcoms that that have aged the worst.

Not at all. IMO many remain laugh-out-loud; more than some highly feted BBC counterparts. It's all different styles and different tastes.