Derry Girls - Series 3 Page 2

Quote: Chappers @ 14th April 2022, 10:30 PM

I've never seen this but it gets great reviews. Is it necessary to watch from the start or can I just catch up now?

I reckon its standalone ep structure (as all good sitcoms should be) allows you to go straight in and be au fait with it. BUT as I'm sure you'll agree, it'll make you want to watch the earlier series. IMO just make sure you catch series 2 which has gone down in my book as an all time classic sitcom series. I've still to catch up with this series myself.

Others will disagree here, but I wasn't as keen on last night's episode (in fact at one point I found myself having idly picked up my phone and fiddling about on that). Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of laughs, but this series unfortunately seems to have fallen down the trap a lot of continuing sitcoms have done in the past year or so (e.g. Two Doors Down, Not Going Out), of becoming a quasi-comedy-drama.

Note the fact the light levels and tones have been manipulated to create a more 'realistic', and somewhat claustrophobic, atmosphere (greater use of shadows, and variation in light levels, throughout a setting, something I haven't observed watching series 1 or 2 again recently), together with characters engaging more in serious moments that strain the comedy and also becoming rather more inclined to express negative emotions as before. (You could equally argue, though, that the writer can use this approach somewhat more liberally now, given it's an established series with established characters and the final series needs to have some form of closure about it, given the show has embedded itself in culture somewhat, become significant, and it requires rounding off well.)

Maybe it's something that isn't as blunted if you're going to be watching these shows in a non-linear way (as in, not as they're broadcast, as I can imagine people watching sitcoms of the '90s will have observed differences in writing, direction, pacing etc. to a greater extent as they watch it through the years rather than someone like me watching them in a less organised order some years after the fact), but it's a little jarring for those seeing them as they go out. It's not something others appear to have picked up on in reviews of various modern-day sitcoms either, so it may just be me!

Still good, but I agree that the second episode didn't seem as funny as the first.

Nice episode tonight, not quite as funny as the previous two, though Clare's mania at being left behind made me laugh.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 26th April 2022, 11:06 PM

Nice episode tonight, not quite as funny as the previous two, though Clare's mania at being left behind made me laugh.

Her actor wasn't available for the full episode so this was the writer's way of keeping her in in some small way. Writing around such impediments is rarely good for the overall product and it seemed to show in a contrived sort of episode story, quite thin and whimsical. I'll have to watch the others before I decide they should have stopped at two series but it had the feel of a sort joy ride after the hard work had been done, for me.

Once again, I appear to be dissenting, but in saying last night's episode was a return to form, and IMO the best episode of the series so far.

And re: Clare, yes, I was thinking the same thing, that those scenes must have been written so as to include her in the episode even though the actress wasn't available to film as part of the main 'gang', so-to-speak. Although I do think the gag of Sister Michael turning up randomly wherever one of them are is already contrived, and I think this is only the second time they've used it this series - and Clare's initial reaction seemed a little OTT for me, even though it was in character. In fact that entire sub-plot seemed a little weak, probably as they had to write around the actress' unavailability as aforementioned and that was the best that could be come up with to accommodate (though that's not a slight, it was still entertaining enough!). Would've been interesting to see how Clare would've acted on the train (though to be honest, I didn't really notice her non-presence in the episode until it was pointed out).

I think they had a lot more they could actually explore with the plot, and wouldn't have been averse to it being a two-parter, with the second half set entirely in the theme park (and maybe the episode's original ending changed so they had the same experience on the train back home), although I suppose it would've lost something in that and could've stretched it too thin.

Yes, I thought it a wonderful episode that - with its constrained setting - felt a bit more akin to the mania of much of Series 1 and 2. Either way, very funny. And James always ending up taking the fall and regularly donning women's clothing is a delight. I remain gutted that this, merely its third series, will already be its last.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th April 2022, 10:56 AM

Yes, I thought it a wonderful episode that - with its constrained setting - felt a bit more akin to the mania of much of Series 1 and 2. Either way, very funny. And James always ending up taking the fall and regularly donning women's clothing is a delight. I remain gutted that this, merely its third series, will already be its last.

I agree. I could watch Derry Girls for years. Better to have three great series and stop at its peak though, full respect to McGee for that, it must be so tempting to carry on. One other thing I liked about last night's was the amount Orla was given to do. I always felt she fell the most into the background in a lot of episodes, but very funny this episode.

I think they felt that there was only so long that a group of 28 to 35 year olds could go on playing schoolgirls. Otherwise it would begin to look like Please Sir!

The display Kit Kats amused me last night!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 27th April 2022, 11:57 AM

I think they felt that there was only so long that a group of 28 to 35 year olds could go on playing schoolgirls. Otherwise it would begin to look like Please Sir!

The display Kit Kats amused me last night!

The Kit Kat stuff was definitely the highlight.

An additional special episode has been announced: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6835/derry-girls-finale-special/

Lovely episode tonight. I'm surprised it took this long for a romance to develop, but it was very sweet.

The medium's mum made me laugh.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 3rd May 2022, 10:35 PM

Lovely episode tonight. I'm surprised it took this long for a romance to develop, but it was very sweet.

The medium's mum made me laugh.

Was she voiced by him? They sounded the same.

Loved this episode!

Quote: zooo @ 4th May 2022, 8:27 AM

Was she voiced by him? They sounded the same.

Wasn't credited, but I believe so.

Very good analyses from Octothorpe - are you in the TV business?