Obscure Actors

Watching these many DVDs from the 50s/60s onwards, I am often intrigued by those that seem to appear once, and so wonder how they "survive", maybe they do a lot of theatrical work? Or maybe they are married to someone rich and only dabble in acting?

And so, there was this (about) 70-year-old lady, Olive Mercer, who had a couple of lines in "Billy Liar", so I checked her out, and blow me down, she was in "Dad's Army"!

Oh, small part, was it? A one off? Nope, she appeared 9 times as Mrs. Yeatman, the Verger's wife. ?

Not a lot of people know that - do now, though. ?

I always thought Ballard Berkeley was a bit part actor in Fawlty Towers but he turned up in a lot of popular shows and films.
Great Name Ballard though.

He regularly appears in the 50s/60s B&W films I watch, more recognised by his voice than appearance. Yes, he was prolific.

He was also Julia McKenzie's father in Fresh Fields as I recall.

I often look up imdb if I see some actor that looks familiar or interesting.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th April 2022, 10:08 AM

He regularly appears in the 50s/60s B&W films I watch, more recognised by his voice than appearance. Yes, he was prolific.

He's in Night of the Demon.
A reporter with just about two lines.

Quote: psmith @ 10th April 2022, 10:26 PM

He's in Night of the Demon.
A reporter with just about two lines.

Oh, don't remember that, as it is one of my favourite films. Mind you, I haven't seen it for ages. Scared my shitless when I saw it at the cinema - I was only 12. It was a case standing outside the cinema asking some bloke to take you in when it was one of those films that only allowed sprogs in, if accompanied by an adult! Imagine kids doing that now! I never had any problem though and didn't think I was putting myself in any danger. Lots of kids did it - common then.

He's a reporter and asks Dana Andrews questions at the airport.
Kate Bush liked it too........."it's in the trees.........."
Someone has put the song to scenes from the film

Interesting