Are there any sitcom fans here?

This is a call to all the Fans out there, this forum is dominated by writers not that I have a problem with that but I have very little interest in reading post from people who main interest in self promotion.

After all this is a site for fans as well, I’m a fan and feel out numbered,

A good example is the fact that a few weeks ago the best episode and one of the best sit-coms of all times was shown namely the royle family (I’m a Big Fan of the show – can you tell) and it barely got a mention, whereas an also ran sitcom get nearly 100 arse licking post because one of the writer happens to belong.

So if your (Just) a fan please reply to this post and make your self heard

Barry

Aaron I’m interested in knowing how many users are now registered

Start a thread where writers and mentions of writing are banned if u feel that strongly, mate. I think with forums and online communities and stuff, it's very much 'our space', so if you're giddy with joy about Royle Family, start a thread and get people talking. I don't know what sitcom you're cussing but i think people just give their honest opinions. many people tell complete unknowns that their sample scripts are wicked on the writer's threads, so I think your claims of arse-licking might be a bit harsh.

I can certainly see why Barry's of that opinion (regarding Not Going Out), but I also think that there was an honest general consensus that it was improving with each week (I know I certainly felt so).

Regarding members, there's well over 1,000, but remember that that is in regards to the whole site, and not just the message board, where we have less than 200 individual posters.

(I can also see what Barry's getting at RE writers > fans, in that we've all been a bit too analytical of everything, rather than just talking about comedy.)

Bazza, stop moaning as there is nothing worse than a whinging fanboy. Start your own threads and encourage your fellow 'fans' to get involved. And ban us writer types from taking part if it's something that really bothers you.

Sorry If this has come across as moaning, it was meant to have been a rallying call to sitcom fans, it just that the “the British sitcom forum” is fast becoming the “the British sitcom writer forum”

Which means I’m in the wrong place, I have nothing against writers but you must admit there was a far bit of sucking up on the not going out thread (which was OK and I very much like Grass)(not wanting to upset Mr Collins).

I just ask the question “Are there any sitcom fans here?” as the only replies have come from writers it’s seems the answer is NO.

It’s nice to thinks your all working so hard just to give me an Aaron something to watch Good luck to you all

Barry

Quote: Aaron @ November 27, 2006, 8:49 PM

I can

(I can also see what Barry's getting at RE writers > fans, in that we've all been a bit too analytical of everything, rather than just talking about comedy.)

There's nothing as far as I know from stopping Barry and others starting threads and highlighting at the start that the function is simply to give opinions about a certain sitcom. The fact that this hasn't happened suggests how much of a demand their is for it, I reckon.

True of course that threads can be started, but I'd argue that ones specifically stipulating that haven't arisen because it just hasn't occured to those of us starting them.

Quote: Aaron @ November 27, 2006, 8:49 PM

I can also see what Barry's getting at RE writers > fans, in that we've all been a bit too analytical of everything, rather than just talking about comedy.

I would say that this forum has the right balance of writers analysing shows and fanboys gushing about their favourite sitcoms. I couldn't think of anything worse than a forum dominated by the latter.

I take Bazza's point about The Royle Family one-off - it deserved more coverage (then again, if he felt so strongly about it, why didn't he start his own thread?). Other than that, this forum has done a good job of providing comprehensive coverage on recent sitcoms, sketch shows etc. I can't think of any shows that have not been covered (from the viewpoints of both writers and fans).

I agree, there's no problem with threads dedicated to fans of shows. But the whole point about being a fan is discussing which bits work for you and which bits don't? If everyone posted "I love blah" it would then be in danger of becoming the serious ass-licking competition that Barry fears.

The shows that are really popular will generate less debate because most people like them. It's the shows on the edge of popularity that will generate most debate as people are more strongly polarised for or against. Each side will try to prove it's a hit / shit.

Most of the writer based threads are in the writers' section and i have to disagree that there was ass-licking going on in the 'Not Going Out' thread. Did you read the whole thread? Several posters asked some quite difficult questions and there was disagreement expressed. That the co-author of a mainstream show listened to the disagreements and chose to respond to us little guys was superb, I have total respect for him, after that. And i'd have thought that fans of sitcom would have enjoyed getting into the mind of a writer.

As to the original question. A writer can still be a fan too. There is no paradox.

Quote: Aaron @ November 28, 2006, 7:35 AM

True of course that threads can be started, but I'd argue that ones specifically stipulating that haven't arisen because it just hasn't occured to those of us starting them.

True, and that shows that it's not really an issue.

Not for the first time, I agree with Slag A. Writers are certainly fans as well. I understand the point made by Britcom Barry, but I'd lose interest if this site had too much of the "I like this" and "I don't like this" list-making tendency. What I like about the site is the number of contributors who discuss WHY they like/dislike things. Not always easy to do, and I'm often crap at it, but some of you are very good.

I think the root of the writers dominance on here is that writers like to write... a lot! ;)

No, I kid... I think it's great these forums are becoming a place writers can finally chat about issues and ideas.

I realise that not everyone is a comedy writer (I'm not!) and therefore aren't interested in debating the finer points of sitcom writing - but if you browse the forums via the front page Barry (which is now easier due to the condensed format) you can avoid all this writing related talk by just not clicking on the bottom two forums. :)

As it happens the Royle Family special went largely un-noticed, not sure why, I guess it was bad scheduling... surprised it didn't go on at Christmas. Despite that there was a bit of chat about it in your Royle Family thread! (Use the search function on the menu bar to re-discover that).

don't worry, there are definitely sitcom fans - myself included. Maybe we're waitning for the right time... ;)

don't worry, there are definitely sitcom fans - myself included. Maybe we're waiting for the right time... ;)