BCG Survey

Only representative of BCG readers and thus heavily skewed to an older audience - but lots to digest all the same.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comedy-tastes-survey-results/

The same survey carried out on the broader public would be interesting.

Hmm, annoyed that I missed this, or it missed me. Not that surprised by the set of results but would like to question why most of those in the majority who prefer non studio sitcoms don't say so on the forums. Reading the forums you get a far more pro trad sitcom and even hostile (eg. me) to current non studio sitcom preponderance response.

The serious or silly scale of comedy question I have to say confused me to the point I didn't or wouldn't know how to answer it.

Why no questions on quality of comedy and originality of comedy?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th March 2022, 8:41 PM

...would like to question why most of those in the majority who prefer non studio sitcoms don't say so on the forums. Reading the forums you get a far more pro trad sitcom and even hostile (eg. me) to current non studio sitcom preponderance response.
?

Silent majority?
I'm doing my bit though!

I missed it too and am grateful to Lazzard for highlighting it.

Age group wise I - just - am in the 206 which is the largest one. Mostly I find what is shown here reassuring. I'm a very to the middle person - unusually compromising but often striking out at either extreme as I see it. So the fact that much of this comes up close to the middle is good for me.

I don't go hugely on 21st century diversity extremes although I think the 80s/90s rebalancing was definitely needed. Huge fan of Desmonds. I tend to see diversity differently - as being open to allowing a very wide range of stuff - or else I find that liberalism moves into the area of dictatorial fascism.

I'm very sitcoms first but would have had TV first, the radio second and the internet option as high as third as you can get a lot of old sitcoms on the internet and are not disturbed by something that unexpectedly turns up. You choose - even with a bit of challenge.

I'm a bit odd on sex and swearing. I detest swearing in sitcoms. Loved Detectorists but could have done without that element. Hate Mrs Brown Boys which I don't see as a traditional sitcom in the way it is represented. My massive hate - and I don't do hate easily - is Fleabag which I found so grimly vulgar and anger making I threw my slippers at the screen. I feel that I am being manipulated politically by that sort of thing.

Oddly, I can cope with some pretty extreme things in Benidorm because I do think it is so cleverly - and traditionally - written that they can get away with it. And almost perversely I could really go for a Roy Chubby Brown in a live setting as he takes it to such a level that the absurdity of it appeals.

Also, if you decide to go to it, you are probably in the mood to run fondly with your very basic family roots (as mine are - and I really do mean basic here) and just to brave enjoying being with a lot of people having a bit of fun.

That is with everyone being totally f**king pissed like a bunch of probably mixed race c**ts and wankers of dubious sexual orientation, a good half of them crippled either in the body or the brain, and sympathising with whoever it is who has been forced into thinking getting married the next day is great news for them.

So that's just a bit of stuff but it is all too serious and I can't hold to that for longer than a fewer sentences as I feel safer in being mad. Which I am more than I am serious. Seriousness interests me for about five minutes and then it makes me depressed. And close to launching a nuclear bomb.

So to get away from the button that I would press to destroy the world, I would like to go back now to being the true me, A Horseradish.

Thank you very much.

Anyway, yeah, the survey was interesting. We've certainly the intention of running something broader, reaching much more of the general public, when possible.