The Witchfinder Page 6

Quote: alison blunderland @ 23rd March 2022, 2:01 PM

It's not easy to find a positive review for 'The Witchfinder' either on BCG or anywhere else. I'm using traditional British understatement here cos I've tried to find one but I simply can't. The strange thing is that I really like it. Episode 3 in particular is a mini-masterpiece of comedy-drama (if that's what it is) but no matter what it is, episode 3 is a mini-masterpiece of it.

Wonderful acting, fascinating funny characters, intelligent scripts, very funny dialogue and the sets and the scenery are a joy to look at. Hooray for everyone involved in its production!

I'll get my coat. :(

Brave call?
I'll watch Ep 3 on the strength of that review - but it'll need to be bloody good to change my opinion.

What a shame. I found this totally unfunny to the point I was almost offended.

I hate shaky camera at the best of times so that didn't help.

I like Tim Key's underplayed comedy most of the time but this was unwatchable after 15 minutes and not one single laugh.

Must be serious, WC has flushed

Quote: Lazzard @ 23rd March 2022, 2:12 PM

Brave call?
I'll watch Ep 3 on the strength of that review - but it'll need to be bloody good to change my opinion.

Had a look at Ep.3 - and it didn't really change my mind.
Few good bits (the rabbit catching scene was properly funny) - but all too thin on the ground.
The" Rubber Ducky" moment round the fire was a bit lame.
The exchange after she runs away was quite strong - a strong woman being thought of as a witch etc etc.
But it doesn't gel - these moments seem to come out of nowhere.
Agreed it looks lovely, with a sort of "A Field in England" vibe.
Just not sure I care enough about the people.

Quote: Will Cam @ 23rd March 2022, 7:41 PM

I like Tim Key's underplayed comedy most of the time but this was unwatchable after 15 minutes and not one single laugh.

It's almost unplayed here, never mind underplayed. I've liked him in other things but they've been bit part roles. Here he's the lead and he's barely alive. He's not carrying it at all which is the opposite of trad sitcom. I wouldn't say every sitcom lead has to be a Simon Callow or Windsor Davies but the main character needs to be noticed, or you have nothing to hang the comedy on. They've solved that problem here by not having any comedy to hang on a characterless lead performance.

I would have called it "The Witch" - because she's the strongest character - he's just playing the over-ambitious side-kick like he did with Steve Coogan in that Radio Norfolk thing they did.

Off topic, (sort of - don't tell Aaron) he was very good in Taskmaster

But she wasn't

He's good - just a bit of a one-trick pony.
He writes poems, apparently.
So possibly two-tricks.
Taskmaster, sadly, is not my cup of tea - but I appear to be in the minority.
I can imagine he'd hold his own, though.

IMO Taskmaster was fine up to Series 9, then it tailed off dramatically (when Daisy May joined it, as it happens) as far as I'm concerned, so much so, that I will not be watching the next new series - I think it has run its course.

He read some poetry out on 8 out of 10 cats Does CD once, and I wasn't impressed.

I'm sorry but this isn't even a slow burner and just passes the time solely due to there being nothing else on!
I'm a bit lost about the "rubber ducky moment around the fire" in episode 3 by a previous poster?

Quote: gb901 @ 26th March 2022, 11:54 AM

I'm a bit lost about the "rubber ducky moment around the fire" in episode 3 by a previous poster?

It's the bit in a film - usually a pause in the action - where the hero talks about something in his past that explains the way he is now.
In this case, the wishbone story and being ditched by his fiancee, told round the camp fire.
It's a rather clumsy way to try to flesh out a character.

I've always enjoyed Tim Key's poetry, and he was excellent in Mid Morning Matters, but I'm not sure he's got what it takes to carry a show.

Quote: chipolata @ 26th March 2022, 12:46 PM

I've always enjoyed Tim Key's poetry, and he was excellent in Mid Morning Matters, but I'm not sure he's got what it takes to carry a show.

He is in one of my favourite radio sitcoms- "Party"

He is hilarious in that!

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th March 2022, 4:03 PM

He is in one of my favourite radio sitcoms- "Party"

He is hilarious in that!

I forgot about that. He is good in it.

Dozy Duncan!