The Witchfinder Page 5

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st March 2022, 8:59 AM

Also, length of run has nothing to do with it being a comedy-drama.

And where did I say it did, exactly?

I think you've missed the words I used 'simply and just' but then it must be hard to read from up there on your high horse. Good morning Madam.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st March 2022, 9:16 AM

And I've just said how much I like two comedy dramas from the past.

But you said you didn't think they were comedy-dramas.
Make your mind up.

No I really didn't.

I was saying, perhaps clumsily, that I wouldn't call them 'simply' comedy dramas as Aaron suggested they were. (A better word to use would be ONLY but that's not the word our Fuhrer used.) And then gave the reason why, the same reason these (yes, very category happy, anal even) mostly American listing sites or guides don't LIST them as such. In the details they'll describe them as comedy dramas but tend to LIST them as what I said for the reason I said.

The Witchfinder seems more overtly comedy than comedy drama, regardless of how funny anybody thinks it is.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 19th March 2022, 9:28 AM

I don't see that, because this is the age of the internet and the original Blackadder was way funnier than anything being made today.

Even the mighty John Lloyd described that first series as ghastly.

Witchfinder is not even remotely comedy-drama.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st March 2022, 9:59 AM

No I really didn't.

I was saying, perhaps clumsily, that I wouldn't call them 'simply' comedy dramas as Aaron suggested they were. (A better word to use would be ONLY but that's not the word our Fuhrer used.) And then gave the reason why, the same reason these (yes, very category happy, anal even) mostly American listing sites or guides don't LIST them as such. In the details they'll describe them as comedy dramas but tend to LIST them as what I said.

Good grief.
Whatever.

Quote: chipolata @ 21st March 2022, 10:14 AM

The Witchfinder seems more overtly comedy than comedy drama, regardless of how funny anybody thinks it is.

You could be right, I've only watched the two, but it's not an overt made for lols sort of comedy, which I and others can find hard to define as comedy without adding the diminishing term drama to it. I avoided calling it what I once called a similar type of comedy a snarkcom because it caused offence.

Quote: chipolata @ 21st March 2022, 10:14 AM

Even the mighty John Lloyd described that first series as ghastly.

I think he misspelled glorious.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st March 2022, 10:30 AM

It's not an overt made for lols sort of comedy, which I and others can find hard to define as comedy without adding the diminishing term drama to it.

And there's the problem.
I assure you they made it with intention of making people laugh - it's just that in your view (and mine, as it happens) they failed.
Just say it's not funny, without blighting a whole genre by "adding the diminishing term" comedy-drama and trying to create some bogus plot to kill off the sitcom.

30 All...........
New balls, please.................

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st March 2022, 10:30 AM

You could be right, I've only watched the two, but it's not an overt made for lols sort of comedy, which I and others can find hard to define as comedy without adding the diminishing term drama to it. I avoided calling it what I once called a similar type of comedy a snarkcom because it caused offence.

I wonder if you'd be happier with a laughter track on everything to tell you if it's meant to be funny or not. Although curiously take the studio audience away from a lot of classic sitcoms and they'd seem slightly different beasts.

Game, set and match, more like.
And we've had plenty of balls already...

? Try reading the posts before you project your own pre decided version of what someone says and get it wrong.

Quote: chipolata @ 21st March 2022, 11:42 AM

I wonder if you'd be happier with a laughter track on everything to tell you if it's meant to be funny or not.

You've jumped the shark, chip.

Quote: chipolata @ 21st March 2022, 11:42 AM

I wonder if you'd be happier with a laughter track on everything to tell you if it's meant to be funny or not.

It would be a very quiet one on today's 'sitcoms'.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st March 2022, 10:56 AM

30 All...........
New balls, please.................

???

It's not easy to find a positive review for 'The Witchfinder' either on BCG or anywhere else. I'm using traditional British understatement here cos I've tried to find one but I simply can't. The strange thing is that I really like it. Episode 3 in particular is a mini-masterpiece of comedy-drama (if that's what it is) but no matter what it is, episode 3 is a mini-masterpiece of it.

Wonderful acting, fascinating funny characters, intelligent scripts, very funny dialogue and the sets and the scenery are a joy to look at. Hooray for everyone involved in its production!

I'll get my coat. :(