The Witchfinder Page 4

Tee hee yes.

Well the old two to six parter serial format, which provided a high ratio of classic comedies imo, would suit this subject they've chosen just right. But I doubt if it's intended as such, because it's just too loose and rambling to look like having a definite ending, which a serial needs.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2022, 11:05 AM

We live in hope

Quote: Aaron @ 20th March 2022, 11:04 AM

A second series could well continue the duo's story?

Unless one or both is executed in episode 6.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th March 2022, 10:48 AM

Preferably for me yes, but I'm more than happy to watch a genuinely funny non studio audience sitcom such as The Office, which I place highly on the list of all time sitcoms, whatever their type of production.

If you want to get bogged down in semantics wasn't The Office a comedy serial, in that it had ongoing storylines.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 20th March 2022, 11:17 AM

And of course they very much succeeded. And it is still being shown and enjoyed 40 years on.

I wonder what will still being shown and enjoyed in 2062.

Yes -and Laurel & Hardy are still brilliantly funny
I'm not suggesting a Ground Zero policy where all old sitcoms no longer have any worth.
You can move on, but still bring the good stuff with you
I could watch Fawlty Towers, The Good Life, Likely Lads Blackadder all day long - even 'Allo, Allo - which, by the way, had a huge and complicated ongoing story - so complicated that Renee had to break the fourth wall just to give the audience the chance to catch-up. Fleabag eat your heart out.
Buy there are no comedies that make me cross - and certainly not because I believe them to be mis-categorised.
What I find peculiar is this deluded fantasy that people are only writing comedies so that they can look cool, when deep down they'd rather be writing studio-based multi-camera SitComs.
That's just not the case.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th March 2022, 12:28 PM

What I find peculiar is this deluded fantasy that people are only writing comedies so that they can look cool, when deep down they'd rather be writing studio-based multi-camera SitComs.

I don't think for one second they'd rather be writing studio sitcoms, I believe this free form location based single camera twaddle is exactly what they want to write. And yes I do think it's mainly to do with being in with the current trendsetters, and looking 'cool'.

Quote: chipolata @ 20th March 2022, 12:16 PM

If you want to get bogged down in semantics wasn't The Office a comedy serial, in that it had ongoing storylines.

I think The Office could confound most labels, it was so ground breaking. It was a single camera location shot show but almost entirely shot in a single enclosed space, much more than some classic studio sitcoms like OFAH or even Porridge, which had its share of outside scenes.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th March 2022, 1:35 PM

I think The Office could confound most labels

Mockumentary

But getting very finickity with definitions the shows I'm thinking off such as Tutti Frutti or Private Schultz are labelled now as mini series or limited run series rather than serials, which ofcourse includes soaps. ? I prefer the old style three parter or six parter (etc.) label.

Or, you could not worry about labels and just watch it and see if you like it.
These things usually have trailers, so you should have a pretty good idea what you're in for.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th March 2022, 1:38 PM

Mockumentary

Except that one.

But it hardly existed in TV until The Office made it popular. And it doesn't tell you much else about the show.

Yes you're right, but my point is about shows using the highly popular peak time sitcom slot and label to air what could barely qualify in any way as sitcoms. I don't care about labels, I care that licence fee payers are being conned with ingenuine programming.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th March 2022, 2:00 PM

I care that licence fee payers are being conned with ingenuine programming.

Eh?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th March 2022, 2:00 PM

Except that one.

But it hardly existed in TV until The Office made it popular. And it doesn't tell you much else about the production.

Yes you're right, but my point is about shows using the highly popular peak time sitcom slot and label to air what could barely qualify in any way as sitcoms. I don't care about labels, I care that licence fee payers are being conned with ingenuine programming.

Look on the bright side, at some point the Tories will abolish the license fee and there'll no longer be BBC to rile you up.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th March 2022, 1:48 PM

such as Tutti Frutti or Private Schultz are labelled now as mini series or limited run series

Are they? Are they not simply comedy dramas?

I'd say no, not just or simply, because these were very popular progs which only ran for a single series, with story conclusions at the end. When duller comedy dramas can go on forever, listing these two classics as comedy dramas is bound to make people think they were cancelled for being no good, completely contrary to the truth. They were conceived and written as single series/serials/limited run series/mini series, all essentially the same thing. So although comedy dramas in style, they are listed on IMDB as mini series, I believe for this purpose.

I remember there was actually a campaign for a 2nd series of Tutti Frutti even though the story concluded at the end. I think the writers were up for it, but a couple of the stars, Coltrane and Thompson from memory already had other commitments. The popularity and huge critical success of it I believe was a spur for the 90s film Still Crazy, the writers and actors all being fans of the short lived TF.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th March 2022, 6:37 PM

I'd say no, not just or simply, because these were very popular progs which only ran for a single series, with story conclusions at the end. When duller comedy dramas can go on forever, calling these two classics simply comedy dramas is bound to make people think they were cancelled for being no good, completely contrary to the truth. They were conceived and written as single series/serials/limited run series/mini series, all essentially the same thing.

Sorry, Alf, you're talking nonsense.

You begin with the daft statement that these programs can't be comedy dramas because they were popular. You've taken a genre category and turned it into a term of insult, to the point that if you like something, it cannot possibly be comedy-drama - because you hate comedy drama!
That's bad science.

Also, length of run has nothing to do with it being a comedy-drama. A comedy-drama is something that combines the elements of both comedy and drama - usually with a narrative line and sometimes sad things happening. A play can be a comedy-drama, so can a film. Most people aren't obsessed with genre category - so this idea that if a single season comedy series (that you like) gets labelled comedy-drama, all and sundry will leap to the conclusion that is must have been cancelled because it was crap - is plain daft.

You're flailing about, Alf - lashing out at all the wrong targets.
You don't like a lot of modern comedy - nor do I
You wish there were more studio-based, multi-camera SitComs - fair enough. They don't float my boat, but I have no objection to them getting commissioned.
However, if you want to have a pop at a category, I suggest taking on the comedy quiz show format that 's eating up air time and studio space, as well as putting decent writers out of work.

Morning. I've clarified it by adding it's a listing thing, it exists as I said if you read the film guides. I don't hate (good) comedy dramas at all, not sure where you get this from. I get annoyed by shows listed as sitcoms which are very much more comdrams or dramadies as now used and aren't even good quality ones imo. And I've just said how much I like two comedy dramas from the past. You seem to be reading things I haven't actually written.

If you think I'm talking rubbish, contact the film and TV guides who I know list these single series shows for the purpose I stated and tell them they are talking rubbish. I'm only relaying what they've done and why.

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st March 2022, 8:59 AM

You begin with the daft statement that these programs can't be comedy dramas because they were popular.
That's bad science.

It would be if I had said it. I didn't say anything like that, I'm afraid.