The Witchfinder Page 2

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th March 2022, 10:33 PM

Although it is described by no lesser authority than the BCG itself as TV Sitcom https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/fleabag/

And listed and discussed for three years on these very forums - including by yourself - under the sitcoms genre https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/33187/

Regardless of whether one wants to call it a sitcom or a comedy drama, the fact that the word comedy is included at all in its description, justifies my original point.

Well stated, Billy

No, your confusing personal opinion with genre classification.
And I didn't start that thread - but only a pedant would have asked for the thread to be moved.
And, sad to say, as august an authority as it is, BCG got it wrong.
Their BSCG roots showing, perhaps?

I would suggest people watch the first series of Blackadder episode "Witchsmeller Pursuivant" - it's much, much funnier!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th March 2022, 10:33 PM

Although it is described by no lesser authority than the BCG itself as TV Sitcom https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/fleabag/

There's a bit of argument on this one, to be fair. The BBC originally called it a sitcom, which is why it is categorised as thus here, but I note they are currently calling it a comedy drama on iPlayer.

With many modern shows that straddle the line, it really varies almost week-to-week how it's labelled.

Quote: Lazzard @ 11th March 2022, 9:55 AM

And, sad to say, as august an authority as it is, BCG got it wrong.

For the record, I feel I should point out that we never make such decisions. We always go by the billing promoted by the broadcaster/distributor at the time of original transmission/release, so it's not up to us to "get wrong". We're a strictly factual resource collating information for historic record.

Objectively, the style of most recent "sitcoms", Fleabag included, is far more comedy drama than sitcom though, there's should be no argument about that!

No, your confusing personal opinion with genre classification.

My what?

but only a pedant would have asked for the thread to be moved.

And yet you didn't ?

Quote: gb901 @ 11th March 2022, 6:12 PM

I would suggest people watch the first series of Blackadder episode "Witchsmeller Pursuivant" - it's much, much funnier!

And all done in at least a sixth of the time of this thing. I've yet to iPlayer this but I'm already salivating at how much I'm going to hate it. I've viewed the trailer.

Quote: Aaron @ 11th March 2022, 6:26 PM

There's a bit of argument on this one, to be fair. The BBC originally called it a sitcom, which is why it is categorised as thus here, but I note they are currently calling it a comedy drama on iPlayer.

With many modern shows that straddle the line, it really varies almost week-to-week how it's labelled.

For the record, I feel I should point out that we never make such decisions. We always go by the billing promoted by the broadcaster/distributor at the time of original transmission/release, so it's not up to us to "get wrong". We're a strictly factual resource collating information for historic record.

Objectively, the style of most recent "sitcoms", Fleabag included, is far more comedy drama than sitcom though, there's should be no argument about that!

Understood.
One would question whether the thread heading is relevant anymore, with so much of what's being discussed not falling under that caretegory?

OK well I watched the first episode and enjoyed it. I suppose it's a drama because there's a story continuation as opposed to a different story each week. The same could be said of Goodnight Sweetheart.

Yeah, it's an increasingly murky area. I don't think there is any clear answer.

Within the industry it often comes down to duration. If episodes are about 30 minutes or less, it's a sitcom. If they're 45+ then it's a comedy drama.

All 6 episodes of The Witchfinder are available to download - I've seen the first 3. It's OK, a few quite funny moments but not likely to become a classic or anything. More well known faces pop up from time to time in minor roles. Quite atmospheric background scenery with the countryside and stuff.

So it seems to be a mash up of Dectectorists and This Country, using the pastoral background as the main event and hoping for the same success. Key does seem well cast for the role and it's time he got the lead, and she was very good in her role. But it's just the distinctly non trad-sitcom scheme it uses that turns me off.

The production can't be cheap with all those extras but the script was muddled, drawn out and unfunny, with some heavy looking scenes even for comdram. It looks more like a film played in six parts than a comedy drama even, but it definitely isn't a sitcom. I'm sure you could make a proper sitcom for a fraction of the cost and at least try and make people laugh.

That's it - two strikes and it's out. Funny - really?

Yep - not really worth the effort.

Two episodes in and whilst it's not hilarious, I am still enjoying it. The production is almost filmic and all the performances are good, with Jessica Hynes going full force into her gurning wench character and not phoning it in at all, looks like she's having fun and that's good to see.
I love Tim Key, he's one of my favourites and can see has really been influenced by hanging about with Steve Coogan. There's some mannerisms there that to me are undoubtedly Coogan. Not a criticism, it's good to see Tim trying something different from his standup persona at least.

It's a shame every period based comedy has to be compared to Blackadder. It's hard to ignore but I personally can overlook it here. Tim Key's character is nothing like Edmund, he was actually likable. I don't think Key is trying to be likeable at all, which admittedly is where it might fail, as we know "sitcom monsters" are best done when we love to hate them, or hate to love them? Either way, so far, there's not much redeemable about him here but I haven't watch it all yet, so I'll hold judgement until I have.

I have a feeling that it will need a second series and rethink before it finds its true feet (as per Blackadder).

Quote: Lee @ 16th March 2022, 11:16 AM

I have a feeling that it will need a second series and rethink before it finds its true feet (as per Blackadder).

Yes, but Blackadder was funny from the off. Not as funny as later series, admittedly, but far better than the fist of comedy with this series.