Desmond's

Hey everyone I'm new here. I just wanted to say I'm loving the re-runs of Desmond's on Trouble. This sitcom is truly briliant, with great acting and writing, and doesn't put black people in sterotypical view or chaotic. What does everyone else think about the sitcom? :D

I loved it when it was on. But haven't really seen it since. :(

Didn't some of the cast also end up in The Real McCoy?
I flipping loved that.

Desmonds is very good. I shall be looking them up on trouble. I didnt realise they were showing re runs. Wayyyyy! Fankoo for the info.
Anyone know why they stopped making episodes. I mean it was very popular. My boys adored it too. Great comedy. :D

Didn't Norman Beaton die shortly after that last series? Would be a good explanation.

Also, series one is out on DVD.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/26/55/-/3438639/Desmond-s-Series-1/Product.html]

Norman Beton died just before the last episode but appartley it was going to be the last anyway. The last was an hour episode and wrapped it basically. Porkpie finished his book, micheal got engadged to his assistant and matthew returend to the gambia :(

Of course, there was the spinoff, 'Porkpie'.

It was a fantastic show, one of my favourites. I love the theme-tune.

I like it, it's not as good as "The Fosters"- also starring Norman Beaton, but it is still very good. Excellent theme tune as well.

i'm only 17 but when the fosters was on did that do well in the ratings or was it poorley recieved

i'm only 17 but when the fosters was on did that do well in the ratings or was it poorley recieved?

I had fond memories of this from the early 90's, but then they started showing it on Paramount in 1998-ish and I thought it was rather poor. I still liked the characters, but all the jokes could be seen coming a mile off and the acting was pretty bad.

Quote: Jeremy Quarshie -Halm @ November 2, 2007, 8:54 AM

i'm only 17 but when the fosters was on did that do well in the ratings or was it poorley recieved

i'm only 17 but when the fosters was on did that do well in the ratings or was it poorley recieved?

I think it did okay. Many people tuned in because it was the first sitcom to star a black family. But I think come the end of the second series, the colour element wore off and people weren't that fascinated. I liked it. The scripts were almost identical to that of an American sitcom called "Good Times". There are two episodes of that show on youtube, type in "Good Times- Sex and the Evans Family" and "Good Times- Black Jesus". These were titles also of "The Fosters" so if you want to know what it is like, then just watch them

Quote: Jack Massey @ November 5, 2007, 11:41 AM

I think it did okay. Many people tuned in because it was the first sitcom to star a black family. But I think come the end of the second series, the colour element wore off and people weren't that fascinated. I liked it. The scripts were almost identical to that of an American sitcom called "Good Times". There are two episodes of that show on YouTube, type in "Good Times- Sex and the Evans Family" and "Good Times- Black Jesus". These were titles also of "The Fosters" so if you want to know what it is like, then just watch them

Cheers mate. I've been looking for this on YouTube. Cool

The actor who played Matthew is dead as well

Watching some Desmond's now. Lots of laugh-out-louds. I'd forgotten how good the show is. I do hope that they get around to releasing the other 4 series, and soon!

Very interesting programme about its making and influence, hosted by Paul Jackson, on Radio 4 this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01sc9cc/Britain_in_a_Box_Series_6_Desmonds/