Writers Room No Longer Accepting Sitcoms And Radio Comedies.

How long has this been the case? They're only accepting dramas and comedy dramas - or, as I think of them, dramas and other dramas. Is there anyone to complain to?Angry

They created something called the BBC Comedy Association which gathers the various bursaries under one umbrella.
Same old shit - different name.
To be fair, Comedy Drama is fairly broad category - there's not much that wouldn't get under the wire.

Like I was in with a chance before...

Anyway, they never commission anything, they just "mentor" promising writers, whatever that means. Waste of time if you ask me.

Apart from the BBC (and let's say ITV, Channel 4, Sky and Netflix) where's the best place to be mentored?

Netflix don't mentor anybody.
They just buy your stuff.
Or not.
I think C4 have some sort 'engagement' with non-professionals.
But I think we can all guess what their criteria might be.

Yeah Channel 4 has 4Screenwriting but it's drama centric.

Funnily enough, this just popped up - Hat Trick and Sitcom Geeks (Dave Cohen/James Cary) are doing a competition - financial prize but also development time with Hat Trick).

Might need to be a pro member to see these links though?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/pro/inside_track/hat-trick-competition-introduction/ and https://www.comedy.co.uk/pro/opportunities/hattrick/

Quote: Lazzard @ 31st October 2021, 6:16 PM

Netflix don't mentor anybody.

*doesn't

I'm saying it's one of the best place to be mentored. That's not the same as saying you CAN get mentored there. It's just looking at the golden ticket "options".

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 3rd November 2021, 9:36 PM

*doesn't
Well, yes, I think of them as a they rather than an it, but, I'll give you that.
I'm saying it's one of the best place to be mentored. That's not the same as saying you CAN get mentored there. It's just looking at the golden ticket "options".
I think if you can't get mentored somewhere it's hard to claim it as one of the best places to be mentored. They don't have to 'pretend' to have an 'educational' role as they're not publicly funded. They just want great TV programs.

I s'pose "golden ticket" reasoning means you could claim anything. Netflix is the one of the places to be mentored. The Oval Office is the one of the best places to run a jumble sale. Not very practical. :(

I'm afraid you've lost me.

Paul means it would be great if Netflix did mentor unknowns, as unlikely as that is. I suspect there's a bidding war for the very best scripts hawked around by agents and the highest bidder, which probably means Netflix gets the pick of the bunch. It would also mean there was very little opportunity for unbroadcasted writers as they'd be very lucky to be represented.

That still doesn't mean a know sitcom writer would choose it over the wider exposure of the BBC or ITV if they offered, or have things changed on that front? ie. Is Netflix watched by more viewers now?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 26th October 2021, 4:02 PM

They're only accepting dramas and comedy dramas - or, as I think of them, dramas and other dramas. Is there anyone to complain to?Angry

Yes, them. But be advised, they don't listen. Let's hope the big shake up that's finally on the horizon changes their ultra cautious, incestuous cronying of a select few famous names who can't write decent sitcom.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd January 2022, 11:34 AM

That still doesn't mean a know sitcom writer would choose it over the wider exposure of the BBC or ITV if they offered, or have things changed on that front? ie. Is Netflix watched by more viewers now?

Bigger potential audience, bigger budgets, US breakthrough - I think any sitcoms writer would want to be behind the next Ted Lasso and would bite your arm off to get a streamer on board.