The Outlaws

I really enjoyed that. The plot is intriguing and there were solid laughs all the way through. Anything that has Christopher Walken and a joke about Bodger and Badger has to be worth watching!

Yeah, I enjoyed that.
Didn't expect it to get so dark.
Walken is fabulous and Merchant is Merchant.
The plot though, stressful.

Amazing production values, they must have thrown money at it. Rather too many characters to handle, I thought - oddly enough, Merchant's character could easily have been dispensed with. Perhaps he'll become more important later. Having said that, I really enjoyed it.

Suffered slightly from Episode 1 "Meet the Gang" syndrome - but pretty good stuff nonetheless.
As you say, Beaky, looks top-notch and Walken adds that bit of pizzazz that'll keep people coming back.
I thought the lead girl was good too.
Felt I'd seen the probation officer character before (Bristolian is the new Brummie).
Will definitely continue with this.

It had the Merchant style all over it, awkward situations and verbal diarrhoea making the situation worse.
He was basically the same character as he was in Extras.
You have to ignore that they were all convicted of crimes serious enough to warrant community service.
But, I suspect the plot will eventually end with all their redemption.
Outright laughs will get it through though.
Like the warder saying to the Asian girl ' believe it or not, I was unpopular when I was younger. And her under her breath what a shock.

The tough probation officer is a great character, I agree.

Yeah, pretty enjoyable and promising stuff, I'm intrigued to see more. For those who don't know, Episode 2 is already available to watch on iPlayer if you don't want to wait til next week.

By the end, this was one of my favourite series of the year. Funny all the way through and I cared about all the characters. Even the vacuous influencer.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 2nd February 2022, 5:31 PM

By the end, this was one of my favourite series of the year. Funny all the way through and I cared about all the characters. Even the vacuous influencer.

Yeah, it was really good. Overall it was more of a drama than a comedy, I thought, although there were some amusing parts with Merchant's character.
A second series is due to air this year apparently.

Anyone else been watching the second series? I've seen the first 3 episodes (the whole series is available on iPlayer again if you'd rather not wait for each weekly installment) and it's maintained its high standard. Well written, involving storylines and endearing characters, and a few more laughs this time in the 2nd and 3rd episodes, though the emphasis is still on the drama.

I have to say that, having enjoyed the first series, I gave up after three episodes of the second. The first series was endearing, I was rooting for them. To go down the route of drug dealing and not only that but going through the minutia of how the operation works was really dull, and I just can't bring myself to care about the outcome. Lady Gabriella is such an enragingly annoying character, I kept willing Merchant's character to tell her to eff off.

Caught both series of this very recently - overall, I really enjoyed it.

However, I absolutely did not like that ending. I understand there was an underlying vibe that Rani was getting thrills, evolving into this super villain but definitely couldn't believe that she'd forfeit the romance she had with Ben + the business they had just invested in down at Weston. It was just as unbelievable seeing Ben's reaction, whilst sat on the train, seeing Rani now off of the train. He just sort of acknowledged it with a verbal nod and that was it.

Then there was Christopher Walken's character - who was thrown out by his daughter in the end. Okay, she said it was for her family's safety but she basically sent him packing to go back to New York as far as I could tell? Why? She spent 2 series + passive aggressively saying how he always ditches his family. How about he just moves out of town?

Ian McElhinney's performance was good enough for me to detest him throughout.

Darren Boyd - such a familiar British TV actor but couldn't tell you what he's been in! But I would say I liked his character the most. Probably because his dad was a complete git and he was bullied throughout. Liked his mini redemption into being a better person.

That Lady Gabriella was largely annoying - again, probably played the part that well that I was invested in disliking her also.

Rani's parents were mostly pissed off and upset with her, but just like that, they're happy for her and give her the money to setup her business with Ben

Possibly best character goes to Diane - the eventual PCSO. Sometimes the performance was a bit forced but largely, she was good comedy relief. "Oi! Less aquaintin'! more paintin'!"

I can't work out why the group didn't kill the 'Dean' - stitching him up for prison time isn't finishing the job. He will have people on the outside who will surely track the outlaws down and worse still, he'll find a way of getting out of prison at some point in their life-time and he'll finish the job himself. I know this was likely purposely done by Steve M so he could bring back series 3 at some stage.

I liked the balance of mick taking of left wing and right wing politics. Well played, Stephen.

I would hope it comes back for a 3rd series - is this confirmed or did Steve M say it was done and dusted now? As there's plenty of incomplete story arcs:

-Does Ben set-up his business in WSM? What happens with his sister living back with their crack-head mum?
-Does Rani move back home with her parents? Does she kick herself for f**king up her chances with Ben?
-What next for Gregory after walking out of the company?
-Does Lady Gab make it back into her father's good books?
-What happens with John's attempts to overthrow his tw*t Dad?
-Surely 'the Dean' doesn't serve time long enough to forget how he was shafted?
-Myrna has overcome her guilt of her arson attack but she's now out of a job - she may well want to move on to pastures new but would be good to see what she does
-Does Christian get back into the game?

So many questions - hope s3 happens

Good epic post Tommy, I enjoyed both series as well.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 19th July 2022, 11:06 AM

I would hope it comes back for a 3rd series - is this confirmed or did Steve M say it was done and dusted now?

Merchant's working on a 3rd series according to this article: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6871/the-outlaws-series-3-in-works/

I'll certainly watch it, although I think it might be stretching things a bit to get all those characters to meet up again after the second series ended the way it did.