The Green Green Grass - Series 3

I just thought I would start a thread for the third series of the Only Fools And Horses spin off. The first episode starts on Friday and is written by Jim Sullivan, the son of creator John who wrote classic sitcoms such as Citizen Smith, Only Fools And Horses and Dear John....

Is it only the first episode or is the whole series written by Jim?

How has this had three series? It's dire.

Quote: Leevil @ October 30, 2007, 10:41 AM

Is it only the first episode or is the whole series written by Jim?

According to the Radio Times he is writing three of the episodes. John will probably write some episodes and some other writers will get in on the act.

Cheers Jack. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the show, but I'd like to see the difference, if any, between father and son.

According to John Challis on BBC Breakfast this morning, John is really into encouraging and giving new and emerging writers a chance, hence other people being involved in the show.

Personally, I really enjoy it. And there are some great interweaving, multi-layered plots (the last Christmas special was an amazing example), as good as any episode of, well, pretty much any other sitcom. And indeed, we've seen word that this first episode is much the same. :)

(I shy away from comparing it directly to OFAH here, as there is far too much unfair, unjust comparison of the two shows already.)

I am really excited about this third series, the inclusion of new writers may just give it a boost and it has the wonderful June Whitfield making an appearance as Boyce's mother-in-law.

I'm very excited, it's a brilliant sitcom. It's really grown. Like Aaron, I don't compare it at all with OFAH, because there is no point. OFAH is in a league of it's own. As far as modern sitcoms go, there aren't many better than this. It won't be to everyone's taste but then what is.

How has this had three series? It's dire.

If it's dire, then don't watch it and don't post in this thread. It's had three series because people watch it. It's probably that simple.

It may not be to everyone's taste, but if people weren't watching, it wouldn't be back. The public choose what we watch in their millions, just glad they chose this...i'd love to see the Trotters and Trigger make an appearance, they do in my version.

I'm not mad on it, but it's certainly watchable.

By 'giving other writers a chance' he means 'my son', then.

Perhaps they should get together and re-write, keep it in the family!

Quote: Seefacts @ October 30, 2007, 6:59 PM

By 'giving other writers a chance' he means 'my son', then.

Looking at the Green Green Grass website he has used other writers on all three series - Jim Sullivan, Derren Litten, James Windett, Paul Alexander, Keith Lindsay, Dave Cantor.

Quote: RT02 @ October 30, 2007, 9:28 PM

Looking at the Green Green Grass website he has used other writers on all three series - Jim Sullivan, Derren Litten, James Windett, Paul Alexander, Keith Lindsay, Dave Cantor.

Most of whom are hacks.

And that affects the fact that they're writers other than him or his son how...?