Funny cartoons Page 29

Quote: alison blunderland @ 13th August 2022, 6:27 PM

I like it cos it's so surreal but I have to admit I don't get the joke (if there is one).

Reminds me of the opening sequence of Stardust Memories. Though Woody manages to string his version of a similar joke out to over 3 ½ minutes.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th August 2022, 3:35 PM

It going the other way is the clever bit.

Superficially clever. For the moment you see that yes, it seems clever but the more you think about it there is no logic to it at all. Unless he's trying to convey that Earth was flat and the dinos are heading for the brink. ? I think it's just a pleasantly quirky image with no real punchline but could be wrong.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th August 2022, 10:48 AM

............but the more you think about it there is no logic to it at all............

Exactly, and.............

This is how I see it. First of all it's off the wall, so facts don't come into it, and you need to forget everything you have heard/seen/read about how the dinosaurs didn't survive. If you want to imagine they fell off the edge of the world, then that is fine! ?

So, they are sailing off to oblivion, whereas the animals we know now were heading for, landed and survived on Pangea. I think also, you have to have a Milligan mind set, having listened to The Goons for many, many years.

Okay, I'm holding my hands up again and admitting I have no absolutely no idea why that's funny. In a previous post, I said it was totally surreal but I didn't see any actual joke.
So PLEASE tell me why the boats going in opposite directions is funny and/or clever.

Quote: alison blunderland @ 14th August 2022, 11:43 AM

Okay, I'm holding my hands up again and admitting I have no absolutely no idea why that's funny. In a previous post, I said it was totally surreal but I didn't see any actual joke.
So PLEASE tell me why the boats going in opposite directions is funny and/or clever.

Well, I burst out laughing when I first saw it, and it still amuses me, but as Vic used to say "You wouldn't let it lie"..................

The giraffes look self-satisfied, whereas the dinosaurs look forlorn or distraught, especially one of the T Rex looks like it is frowning, with a realisation that they are all going the wrong way. ?

Still doesn't address the problem that the ark didn't 'go 'anywhere - it just floated till the flood receded - as it would have done for the dinosaur ark as well.
So they would also have survived.
I think there have been so many iterations of the ark story in cartoons that we're sort of used to it being about "missing the arc".
The concept of the "wrong ark" is not one we're familiar with, so it's hard for a joke to successfully play off it.

Yes, it's the movement of both that foxes me. An ark is essentially a large communal houseboat, that is moored or just floats as in Noah's Ark. They are not ships with independent means of movement and the image correctly conveys this - no sails, no oars. So how are they both transiting in different directions? ???

[/quote]

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th August 2022, 12:53 PM

So how are they both transiting in different directions? ???

It is the work of The Lord, my son. Who moves in mysterious ways.

OR, its a f**king cartoon for Christ's sake!!

I didn't notice that. I just presumed that ark hit a storm or rock and sank.

Quote: billwill @ 14th August 2022, 2:58 PM

I didn't notice that. I just presumed that ark hit a storm or rock and sank.

Hit by a comet, surely?
In fact, that would improve it no end - small comet in the sky heading for the Dino-Ark.
Now, it's working.

(Waits for the "I don't get it" or "It's not technically correct" or "But the water would run out of the bowl" etc etc ...........................)

:D The artist daren't show it in any other state.