OFAH - HAPPY 40TH

Happy Birthday to Only Fools & Horses, first aired on this day in 1981 to mixed reviews. If debuted today it probably wouldn't have been spared the single series ignominy so many recent sitcoms have. It has been said that a single scene in Series 2 the writer had to be talked into including, saved it from being a two series flop (for those days). I'm not sure I agree with that, but it was a slow starter by Classic Sitcom standards. Then from Series 3, it took off like a rocket. (imo) Happy 40th. Wave

Which single scene?

I don't know anyone who doesn't like this. And i am not sure i would care to.

Was the single scene to which you were referring the chandelier one?

It was that one. I'm pretty sure it was the case that the Beeb weren't convinced it was doing well enough to get a third series and were set to end it when near the end of the series A Touch of Glass got everyone talking about that scene and then suddenly they couldn't drop it.

That was how the story went, but seeing there are some very strong eps in Series 2 I'm not too sure why it still hadn't taken off. Unless I've got the story wrong, no use asking the Beeb, they'll deny it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 10th September 2021, 8:36 AM

It was that one. I'm pretty sure it was the case that the Beeb weren't convinced it was doing well enough to get a third series and were set to end it when near the end of the series A Touch of Glass got everyone talking about that scene and then suddenly they couldn't drop it.

That was how the story went, but seeing there are some very strong eps in Series 2 I'm not too sure why it still hadn't taken off. Unless I've got the story wrong, no use asking the Beeb, they'll deny it.

Not sure why the Beeb would deny anything. It's doubtful anybody involved in commissioning etc is still there, and nearly getting cancelled or not picked up is a part of many sitcoms mythology.

No comment.