Morecambe & Wise's wiped BBC1 debut found

The Morecambe & Wise Show. Image shows from L to R: Eric Morecambe, Ernie Wise. Copyright: BBC.

The Morecambe & Wise Show

Sketch series starring comedy legends Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise, plus a string of top-name celebrity guests

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Wednesday 21st July 2021, 11:42am
  • England
  • 19,395 posts

Morecambe & Wise's first episode of their hit series for BBC1 has been found
It was only ever broadcast once, on 8th October 1970 as their show moved from BBC2

The "funniest sketches" will be aired in an ITV documentary on 28th July - WHY!?! Just show it FFS, in its entirety, on the Beeb!!

Why do we have to suffer talking heads, who've seen the whole prog.,(just to rub salt in the wound) and effin' adverts. Jeez. Angy

Lazzard

• Wednesday 21st July 2021, 12:19pm [Edited]
  • Ludlow, England
  • 5,442 posts

I guess the son (who 'found' the 'long lost' footage) has the rights.
He does rather like talking and ITV probably stumped up more cash.

EDIT: Also, the article says a rl of film was discovered. Wasn't the series taped? Are these maybe filmed OB sketches?? So perhaps its incomplete, thus can only be shown in bits. Interested if anyone knows any more

Billy Bunter

• Wednesday 21st July 2021, 5:33pm [Edited]
  • The Sussex Coast, England
  • 1,683 posts
Quote: Lazzard @ 21st July 2021, 12:19 PM

I guess the son (who 'found' the 'long lost' footage) has the rights.
He does rather like talking and ITV probably stumped up more cash.

EDIT: Also, the article says a rl of film was discovered. Wasn't the series taped? Are these maybe filmed OB sketches?? So perhaps its incomplete, thus can only be shown in bits. Interested if anyone knows any more

I'm guessing rl is reel (rather than roll) but OB?

Lazzard

• Wednesday 21st July 2021, 5:46pm
  • Ludlow, England
  • 5,442 posts

Outside Broadcast - out-of-date term for the bits filmed outside.
It's actually incorrect because OB was actually shot on tape - using those giant BBC lorries.

Aaron

• Wednesday 21st July 2021, 5:58pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,880 posts

Phwoar!

I know a bit more than it would be legally or diplomatically prudent of me to reveal in public about some of the questions above, but for those I can answer...

Yes the programme was originally recorded in a studio onto video tape, and was discovered on a reel of film. As is the case with almost all such MBW recoveries, it's a telerecording. Typically these are produced for overseas sales or for industry showcase purposes.

The celebs watching the sketches for the doc have almost certainly NOT seen the whole episode, but more or less the same sketches they're commenting on and airing to us.

The programme was recovered complete, and it remains BBC copyright. We can but pray for an eventual full airing.

Lazzard

• Wednesday 21st July 2021, 6:00pm
  • Ludlow, England
  • 5,442 posts

Brilliant and full answer.
We expect nothing less.

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Thursday 22nd July 2021, 12:07am
  • England
  • 19,395 posts
Quote: Aaron @ 21st July 2021, 5:58 PM

We can but pray for an eventual full airing.

Going on history, I would say a fat chance. We all collectively paid for this and mega others of course, but do we get consideration - do we ****.

The BBC archive should be treated like the British Library - open to all to reference, not a privileged few.

Aaron

• Thursday 22nd July 2021, 9:45am
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,880 posts
Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd July 2021, 12:07 AM

Going on history, I would say a fat chance.

The last two discovered, from Series 1, were not only aired but restored to colour.

Firkin

• Friday 23rd July 2021, 8:57am
  • United Kingdom
  • 1,213 posts

Maybe they'll stick it on Britbox and tease outsiders with snippets ?