Frank Of Ireland

I really enjoyed it. Lots of laugh out loud moments, especially the MMA scene. Brian and Domhnall Gleeson's script is full of broad, slapstick moments but with an undercurrent of sadness that I think will get exploited in future episodes. I read that Sharon Horgan helped knock the script into shape, improving the characters and her tone can be seen in some of the more acerbic dialogue. The mother is the standout character.

Got very mixed reviews, but I'll probably still give it a go. I love Irish comedy and the Gleesons - Domnhall is my fantasy leading man for when my work finally gets made (ha!). I also have a soft spot for Dublin - my best friend lives there and I haven't been able to visit for 2 years. So I'm guessing it'll hit the spot in more ways that one?

Very funny. Sharon Horgan's influence is plain to see (and hear).

It is a good show.An oasis in this comedy desert lately...
Hoping for season 2!

It's alright - much prefer the (very short!!) series of Linehan's "The Walshes". Now that was very funny. Such a shame he was unable to do more with it.

The Walshes was good as well but methinks Mr Linehan unfortunately will have a hard time getting new projects done due to his unwoke ways.

After all that, I'm not allowed to watch it, apparently. It's made the list of things my friends have banned, along with 'Holiday' (Peep Show) and 'Wilson' (Friday Night Dinner). Probably for the best.

Quote: EllieS @ 25th April 2021, 11:55 AM

After all that, I'm not allowed to watch it, apparently. It's made the list of things my friends have banned, along with 'Holiday' (Peep Show) and 'Wilson' (Friday Night Dinner). Probably for the best.

I was about to mention a particular thing and ask if that got it banned then realised that may be a spoiler for you, ha.

It's a strange one, this. There are funny lines, but I just don't believe in the Frank character. Or rather, I don't believe in the world he inhabits. Why is Doofus so attached/in awe of him? The mother is the highlight but I'm not sure if I'll be able to stick this one through to the end. I think the problem is that it focuses too much on Frank and Doofus. If they added in a sub plot it might be more palatable.

Quote: Feeoree @ 27th April 2021, 3:25 PM

I was about to mention a particular thing and ask if that got it banned then realised that may be a spoiler for you, ha.

I imagine you're correct! I've not spoken to people for weeks for exposing me to such things when they should know better; I nearly disowned my own father for lending me the DVD of another Gleeson-related title - the horrorshow that is 'Calvary'.

Hmm...hmm. Don't yet know what to think of this, but it was a better viewing experience than I anticipated, the episode I watched. And funnier. It had a lot of my pet hates in though, way too many characters, fashionable swearing, fashionable dark humour, unexplained visual shock gags such as the judo throws, and too drably realistic main characters. It was however well plotted, well acted and well produced, just as Derry Girls was (without being as sparklingly good). I'll probably give this one another watch.