Streaming Services

Does anybody here have all of the streaming services?

What are they now?

Netflix
Amazon
Sky
BT
Britbox
Disney +

Have I missed any?

And how much is it costing you?

Plus of course BBC license fee.

PS - that doesn't include Aaron who has to pay it to do this website.
(Is that where some of our donations goes?)

Everything but BritBox.
Amazon is part of my Prime membership which more than pays for itself in saved postage (we live in the sticks)/
I dip in and out of BT Sport - depending on Chelsea's involvement or otherwise with champs League.
Will drop Disney+ unless they up their game.
Also have Mubi - which is brilliant if you like cinema (As are Curzon & BFI)

Just Sky and Amazon Prime, which I currently have on a Prime Student subscription and saves me 50% a month.

I just watch DVD's nowadays, comedy DVD's but in my house, we have Sky, Netflix and Prime.

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th March 2021, 6:02 PM

Everything but BritBox.
Amazon is part of my Prime membership which more than pays for itself in saved postage (we live in the sticks)/
I dip in and out of BT Sport - depending on Chelsea's involvement or otherwise with champs League.
Will drop Disney+ unless they up their game.
Also have Mubi - which is brilliant if you like cinema (As are Curzon & BFI)

Cost?

I'd need to work it out.
Sky is tied in with Broadband.
I'll get back to you.

I'm jut wondering because it all mounts up. I've got BT with Broadband and I've added an entertainment package. No sport. I like football but adding all that is extortionate and to get your money's worth you'd watch nothing but, plus if I want Netflix too it just goes on and on.

If the BBC became pay per view it would probably cost more than the license because there are parts of it that I really couldn't do without (or would miss).

One trend I am not a fan of is releasing new films and charging £15.99 to watch them. Fine for a family, but as someone who used to go to the cinema alone, it is extortionate.

There are plenty of legal IPTV free streaming services. Amazon and Google have the apps on their store.
If you have a smart TV that allows apps to be loaded (some makes don't) or something like a firestick
you can download loads and see which you like.
They have a TV guide and everything and are completely free and legal.

I don't and wouldn't subscribe to anything like this as I simply do not have the spare time to watch, when I have so many DVD sets to wade through; BUT there has been occasion ("Greenland" last week, as it happens) when I want to see certain films and my son "acquires" them from God knows where and puts them on a memory stick for me.

I'm still trying to find time to watch the gruesome 1¾ hour "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" (1970) based on Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's novel.

If you're going to choose one, I 'd go for Netflix.
Quality in depth.

Quote: Lazzard @ 25th March 2021, 11:12 AM

If you're going to choose one, I 'd go for Netflix.
Quality in depth.

I would say BritBox based on people's tastes on here. Almost all the British comedy content you would want. Awful, *awful* glitchy site/app, though. Inexplicably separates the Christmas specials from a series, so you miss half the plot of, say, OFAH or Gavin and Stacey; often forgets it has the rest of the series and just stops playing; has a stupid graphic at the beginning of every episode, and often the 'continue watching' feature is just missing. Think Sounds meets ITV Hub. No disrespect to the content, but terrible, terrible design. *cough* bringbackiplayerradio.

Sadly, I'm a bit of an imposter round here - a lot of the 'classic comedy' stuff doesn't really float my boat.
Agreed - trialed BritBox.
Made the iPlayer look state-of-the-art.
Which it isn't.
No - Netflix is great for big, well-made, well-written series - and foreign stuff if you like all that.

I'd like to know how they 'divvy up' series... I don't get how one site can have some episodes of something and not the rest. Netflix ued to have Knowing Me Knowing You and I'm Alan Partridge, but now the former has disappeared and seems to be nowhere. They also have series 1 of Motherland, but where on earth is the second? Not on iplayer. And I remember for a while they had series 2 and 3 of Gavin and Stacey but not the first... What?! Don't you have to buy a whole series or none of it at all?

Essentially, with stuff they haven't created, they have it 'on loan'.
They pay more for exclusivity, length of exclusivity etc etc
Some stuff - the less in demand, I guess - they buy outright.
They have to bargain with the producers of the content - each side trying to get the best price.
It's all quite complicated.