Mark Lawson interviews Galton and Simpson

Had seen this before - a brilliant interview on all counts.

Wonderful funny anecdotes and insights of their life, with Mark Lawson asking the sort of questions you would ask, and not get up their own arse on a ego trip.

I'll be saving this to DVD!

What channel was it on ?
You seem to be a tad lacking in the details department :)

Most of it, for us in the outer regions of the galaxy ,is on good old you tube.

I've watched it and it was very illuminating.Lots of stuff I knew but never knew how I knew.Now I know.I must have seen it before years ago and forgotten all about it.

Quote: john tregorran @ 13th March 2021, 2:48 AM

What channel was it on ?

Academic now it seems, but BBC4, a channel, annoyingly, where they repeat progs. from 1 or 2 and not mention that it is actually a repeat, but, the naughty Beeb forgets to mention its previous outing, as it is not actually a repeat on BBC4.

(Alights from soapbox)

Quote: john tregorran @ 13th March 2021, 2:48 AM

What channel was it on ?

That's because the information was promulgated to all and sundry in advance of transmission :) :

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 2nd March 2021, 8:58 PM

And on Thursday 11 March the drama Hancock (previously broadcast in 1991) with Alfred Molina playing the lad himself at 9pm on BBC4 followed at 10.55 by Mark Lawson talking to Ray Galton & Alan Simpson (previously broadcast in 2008).

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th March 2021, 5:58 AM

Academic now it seems, but BBC4, a channel, annoyingly, where they repeat progs. from 1 or 2 and not mention that it is actually a repeat, but, the naughty Beeb forgets to mention its previous outing, as it is not actually a repeat on BBC4.

(Alights from soapbox)

Except in this case it was a BBC Four original!

I have it recorded on the Sky planner and on hold until Mrs Will Cam has an early night so I can watch it uninterrupted.

Quote: Aaron @ 13th March 2021, 11:07 AM

Except in this case it was a BBC Four original!

But it wasn't shown as a repeat, which happens a lot on BBC4, when I've thought "Oh, that looks good!, only to find I'd seen it before. Grrrrrrr

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th March 2021, 10:27 AM

That's because the information was promulgated to all and sundry in advance of transmission :) :

Thank you Billy. Struth Digger!

Quote: Will Cam @ 13th March 2021, 11:29 AM

I have it recorded on the Sky planner and on hold until Mrs Will Cam has an early night so I can watch it uninterrupted.

Yes, good idea. They do tend to mar a good viewing with inane questions, or they are reading the paper, you laugh, and they say "What did he say?" And you lose the plot. Bloomin' Wimmin.

Promulgated???

Are you allowed to say that here?

Quote: john tregorran @ 13th March 2021, 7:19 PM

Promulgated???

Are you allowed to say that here?

My favourite word. I always endeavoured to get it into my letters when I was at work (that and "antepenultimate"). So, not having had the chance to use it for five years, I thought I would take the opportunity of resurrecting it here. Wait for antepenultimate to make an appearance.

I'll be looking out for it.Although with my recent history of reading posts I'll probably be too late.

Quote: john tregorran @ 13th March 2021, 9:22 PM

I'll be looking out for it.Although with my recent history of reading posts I'll probably be too late.

Awomen to that. ;)

Yes that was an interesting interview, didn't know they did that one, but did see the one they did in a restaurant about ten years back, very enjoyable. In this one there was some interesting stuff about their sanatorium stay and early writing partnership, how they finished off each other's lines (Teary unthinkable to a lone scribbler), and how much thinking you do in fiction writing, the opposite of journalism and factual writing. Don't be a sitcom writer if you don't like to spend long hours thinking up storylines and dialogue. The stuff about failure and humour was also bang on.

Simpson was complimentary of Hancock's talents, Galton still rankled by his ungrateful treatment of them. Milligan was equally unsympathetic about him, whereas Simpson seemed to echo Junkin's view that it was pure insecurity that made him leave his highly successful team. Interesting also to hear that S&S was really a continuation of 'Hancock', Harold a working class Hancock with the same high status aspirations and conceitedness. Notable that these two non egos wrote so well about (characters with) big egos.